Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chicken or the Egg (Kraftwerk or Coldplay)

Chicken or the Egg (Kraftwerk or Coldplay)

The very first time I hear a full Coldplay album was about 2003 or 2004 at my sister's house while we're having dinner and I was impressed, yes they hit me and hit me hard with the A Rush Blood To The Head.

A few years later I was in love with several of their songs including Talk. The time pass and I listen to the German band Kraftwerk and Computer Love and take me a time to realize that They were taking advantage of the Coldplay song Talk (2005) and think "they are using a successful song to sale their music" DEAD WRONG!!!

original.JPG

What a surprise Krafwek it's a real old band in spite of their years their sound it's pretty actual, Computer Love was released in 1981 Chirs Martin was 4 years old.

So I learn my lesson, first check and then "TALK"

https://open.spotify.com/track/5BXBi5pLeJhblMVH2ltjpl?si=lj7sHAHD

https://open.spotify.com/track/07TzXoUAtflCfeipNNXFtk?si=s7QQvK28

If you have some story kind like this I would love to know.

Wish you only the very best!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
79 Replies

This two sound pretty similar and for the date of the released Sara goes out the 12/06/13

spotify:track:6Uy6K3KdmUdAfelUp0SeXn:small

And Katy goes out 12/08/13

spotify:track:6F5c58TMEs1byxUstkzVeM:small

Just two months latter, Sara Bareilles had a rather positive reaction upon realizing her song was copied. "I mean, I can't say that I think they don't sound similar," she said in a CBS Sunday Morning interview in 2014. "At the end of the day, it was really good for my song. Thank you, Katy Perry for that!"

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Express Yourself by Madonna (1989) and Born This Way by Lady Gaga (2009).

Born This Way has faster beat than Express Yourself. Give it a listen!

https://open.spotify.com/track/3szW87j0gVLQmpulz4P8Rf
https://open.spotify.com/track/30XU4suKzCeoCK9YFzdufg

Some of these findings are really good, but some are just bad. A lot of songs have the same cord progressions because they're very basic and common. I don't think plagiarism was the intent on some of these.

Here's mine:

spotify:track:21T9lWigjSIMg9uD6ZfRnQ

spotify:track:4P5KoWXOxwuobLmHXLMobV

I don't know if Kurt's intent was to use the same riff, but he made songs by cutting together a bunch of other songs and playing what it sounded like to him. So there's a good chance that "Eighties" played a big part in creating "Come As You Are".

Cobain also has said he's tried to rip off his favorite bands, like The Pixies, because he saw the success they were having.

He also said that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was ripping off Boston's "More Than a Feeling". Its harder to hear the similarities in those songs than it is in "Eighties" and "Come As You Are".

Nirvana was pretty well known for the many covers of their favorite bands they have done. Though plagiarism isn't the intent, I think its hard for musicians to make music without sonic similarities. There's just too much influence around all the time!

spotify:user:bradg43

Really like your point, it's impossible not to be influenced.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks
JpgchiefRock Star 14

What about this one?

Love it…CCR claimed that Fogerty was plagiarizing to…..John Fogerty LOL

spotify:track:6J0AjzrYsPZrQtw6IjErhy:small

This one while Fogerty was part of CCR and them he was on his own way as a solo and he creats this, and both songs really sound pretty familiar...I don't know what you think but to me it's almost funny.

spotify:track:51UMKlVT5to4VEwUAvFr2f:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

I can Imagen the Gallagher brothers while they’re a pair of toddlers in the early 70’s listen to the radio or an album from their parents (could be the Australian pop group the New Seekers “maybe” LOL) or a little later listen to the worldwide ad campaign from Coca-Cola

spotify:track:6NgYIpjDuGPAV4C7GwOmQS:small

What do you think?

spotify:track:3TUrcSTIxQeeKJoBVIBR00:small

At the end everything was fixed in this way:  "Oasis reportedly settled with the New Seekers for $500,000. Noel Gallagher didn’t seem too phased by it, incorporating lines from both the Coca-Cola and New Seekers’ version in a live performance of "Shakermaker" and ending the song with, "Now we all drink Pepsi."

JpgchiefRock Star 14

I can use almost the whole same lines that the Gallagher brothers and only change the names (Avril Lavigne and The Rubbinoos on instead the Australian group), don’t you think.

spotify:track:6DQGXkbpm17wYHc1TrNPaN:small

I mean Avril could be growing listen to this song and just get inside of her brain and years latter gets out as an original idea….could be or couldn’t?

spotify:track:5HbCnVLXRyZVxnreOPgJCK:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

This is the source of this one:

10 Famous Songs That Were Sued For Plagiarism

"The Stones, like Zeppelin and The Beatles, were unafraid to lift blues riffs, so it’s easy to have a little sympathy with Richard Ashcroft of The Verve, who fell foul of Jagger and co’s legal might. "

spotify:track:2h0AheQNR5WUgpFBBV8WeC:small

"There is no denying, however, the similarities between The Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony and Andrew Loog Oldham’s gorgeous orchestral version of The Last Time. The band actually thought they had cleared the sample, but hadn’t. The judge came down hard, giving Jagger and Keith Richards songwriting credits – and all royalties."

spotify:track:5yEPxDjbbzUzyauGtnmVEC:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

This one really hurts me bad…why I’m such a big fan of Guns…. I grow up listen to this particular song…the truth be told….sounds almost the same o pretty similar, you can recognize it easily

spotify:track:19Je95mLpH78y5n5gf5vQf:small  (1981)

The one that I love..... 

spotify:track:4MhTFsyqIJnjsOweVcU8ug:small  (1987)

JpgchiefRock Star 14

This is just the opposite of the Guns case, here I’m big Tom Petty’s fan

spotify:track:7gSQv1OHpkIoAdUiRLdmI6:small

After the melodies were synced together and uploaded to YouTube in 2014, the British Grammy winner had to offer The Heartbreakers' lead a co-writing credit.

spotify:track:5Db9VIdDsN5yu3Eu7CT0i4:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

"This isn't Jennifer Lopez's first time at the copy Kate Deluna rodeo. However, her most undisputable offense was with her song "On the Floor" in 2011."

spotify:track:2Mav7L6O0XGxTbHIoOuEpA:small   (2010)

"The dance hit bore a striking resemblance to Deluna's "Party O' Clock," released in 2010."

spotify:track:0Oe49j06Bjrxs8PltuVeaW:small  (2011)

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Another pair Tom Petty Doubts Chili Peppers Similarity Had "Negative Intent"

Tom Petty 

spotify:track:5eYwDBLucWfWI5KsV7oYX2:small

RHP

spotify:track:10Nmj3JCNoMeBQ87uw5j8k:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Over to Pete Townshend who, asked about One Direction’s Best Song Ever, whose opening bars were similar to the Who’s Baba O’Riley, released a statement saying: “The chords I used and the chords they used are the same three chords we’ve all been using in basic pop music since Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran and Chuck Berry made it clear that fancy chords don’t mean great music – not always. I’m still writing songs that sound like Baba O’Riley – or I’m trying to.”

The Who 

spotify:track:0TzCim4sBQZ9N0AAG25lOM:small

One Direction 

spotify:track:5T7ZFtCcOgkpjxcuaeZbw0:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

What do you think about this two

Marvin

spotify:track:0jHkgTtTaqg5LNCiYDQPUB:small

Ed

spotify:track:34gCuhDGsG4bRPIf9bb02f:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

In the case  Sheeran’s Photograph, there’s a 16-bar sequence where the majority of pitches, the majority of rhythmic placements and almost all the harmonic context is the same as the equivalent section of Amazing – there are 39 identical notes. The chance of that happening coincidentally and independently is almost zero. If I hear two songs where melodies are identical in pitch and rhythmic placement, over a few bars of music, my initial reaction is that it’s pretty likely there will be some element of copying. Whether that’s plagiarism becomes a legal question.”

Matt

spotify:track:15YOIZfFLX6q5hy8GzS8P0:small

Edd

spotify:track:1HNkqx9Ahdgi1Ixy2xkKkL:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

One Direction spent their entire musical career borrowing melodies from classic rock and pop artists. What makes this particular single special, however, was that it was heavily compared to the sound of a contemporary artist– and one Styles used to date– Taylor Swift. “Perfect,” which was released as a single off the band’s 2015 album Made In The A.M., received backlash almost immediately for its similarity to T. Swift’s song “Style.”

Taylor 

spotify:track:0ug5NqcwcFR2xrfTkc7k8e:small

One Direction

spotify:track:3NLnwwAQbbFKcEcV8hDItk:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

The classic punk outfit never brought charges against One Direction, and the song’s co-writer, Julian Bunetta said that “at the end of the day, the lyric and the melody have nothing to do with any other song that I have ever heard.” Despite this, Styles did fess up to their influences, telling BBC Newsbeat that they did in fact copy the iconic riff from “Should I Stay or Should I Go,” saying that it was “kind of on purpose.” The 1D song would go on to peak at number three on the Billboard Hot 100.

The Clash

spotify:track:39shmbIHICJ2Wxnk1fPSdz:small

One Direction

spotify:track:6aGjEZ7kq3YXgD0EDt80O5:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

After the positive reception to Styles’ debut single “Sign of the Times,” fans were eager to hear what the newly solo artist had in store. Unfortunately, the live performance of “Ever Since New York” on Saturday Night Live drew attention not for its musical quality, but for the similarities it had to the 1971 Badfinger song “Baby Blue.” According to The Sun, “Ever Since New York” has an almost identical arrangement to “Baby Blue,” and Twitter wasted little time in taking Styles to task over it.

Badfinger

spotify:track:6S3JlDAGk3uu3NtZbPnuhS:small

Harry Styles 

spotify:track:5Ohxk2dO5COHF1krpoPigN:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Styles currently faces the wrath of the internet due to his latest single, titled “Sweet Creature.” While the song, like those before it, were received warmly by the fans, it didn’t take long before accusations of plagiarism appeared yet again. This time, it’s in reference to the greatest rock and roll band of all time: The BeatlesThe Evening Standard reports that Styles used a nearly identical guitar riff to that of the The Beatles’ 1968 classic “Blackbird.”

The Beatles

spotify:track:5jgFfDIR6FR0gvlA56Nakr:small

Harry Styles

spotify:track:5kRPPEWFJIMox5qIkQkiz5:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

There’s no arguing here; “Surfin’ USA” is the same song as “Sweet Little Sixteen”, alright. But The Beach Boys aren’t the only ones to blame. Too many artists have ripped off Chuck Berry over the years, especially his melody for “Johnny B. Goode”, which wouldn’t you know it actually dates back to 1946 with Louis Jordan’s “Ain’t That Just Like a Woman”. Is there nothing original in music? At least The Beach Boys fessed up, giving Berry songwriting credits on every release of “Surfin’ USA” post-1966. Years later, Berry even told the late Carl Wilson he loved their song. Isn’t that nice? –Michael Roffman

Chuck Berry 

spotify:track:4fAHHeLMX0haeSnUfU1tVl:small

The Beach Boys

spotify:track:0wz1LjDb9ZNEYwOmDJ3Q4b:small

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Suggested posts