Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music discovery/ recommendations based on local files

Solved!

Music discovery/ recommendations based on local files

so i have a music library for last 17 years containing all my fav tracks in local files, how do I get recommendation or similar songs/artist/album/genre etc based on these files ? any software exists that can give music recommendations based on local files listening ?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @mehdihasan,

Thank you for posting here in the Community.

We hope you don't mind us moving your post out of the chat section to one of our Help boards as it fits better here.

In this case, we’d like to add some insights. Spotify only collects stats on music officially uploaded to the platform. If you're listening to your local files, then Spotify acts just like an ordinary music player. Those songs and the time you spent listening to the files that you've uploaded doesn't contribute to your music recommendations.

That being explained, keep in mind, recommendations are based on your listening habits (what you like, share, save, skip). If you'd like to discover new music, you can use the search bar and look for the artists that created the music on your local files. Once you’ve done that, you can use the Radio feature to get recommendations based on those artists.

Discover Weekly and Release Radar are playlists made for you by Spotify based on your listening habits. These are also oriented towards exploring new music. Explore some new music aside from your local files, and check in the coming weeks and let us know how it goes.

Note that listening in Private mode may not also influence the Made for You playlists (for example Daily Mixes, Discover Daily, etc.) and you may not get too many new recommendations.

Lastly, just to clarify, there’s no official software or third party app used by Spotify that can recommend content based on your local file info.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @mehdihasan,

Thank you for posting here in the Community.

We hope you don't mind us moving your post out of the chat section to one of our Help boards as it fits better here.

In this case, we’d like to add some insights. Spotify only collects stats on music officially uploaded to the platform. If you're listening to your local files, then Spotify acts just like an ordinary music player. Those songs and the time you spent listening to the files that you've uploaded doesn't contribute to your music recommendations.

That being explained, keep in mind, recommendations are based on your listening habits (what you like, share, save, skip). If you'd like to discover new music, you can use the search bar and look for the artists that created the music on your local files. Once you’ve done that, you can use the Radio feature to get recommendations based on those artists.

Discover Weekly and Release Radar are playlists made for you by Spotify based on your listening habits. These are also oriented towards exploring new music. Explore some new music aside from your local files, and check in the coming weeks and let us know how it goes.

Note that listening in Private mode may not also influence the Made for You playlists (for example Daily Mixes, Discover Daily, etc.) and you may not get too many new recommendations.

Lastly, just to clarify, there’s no official software or third party app used by Spotify that can recommend content based on your local file info.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Make a Last.fm account and track ("scrobble") your plays over time. Depending on your platform and software, you can track listening in offline modes and sync it back with Last.fm's website, enabling you to get recommendations across multiple music services and your offline collections.

i used to use last fm like 10 or 15 years ago, i also have the loved tracks but as far as i know last fm doesnt sync reccomendations with spotify

Suggested posts