Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Who do I contact to take down racist cover art?

Who do I contact to take down racist cover art?

Big Brother & The Holding Company & Janis Joplin have an album by the name of "Cheap Thrills" with racist cover art. Not posting a photo for obvious reasons. (edit: it shows a minstrel kind of cartoon used to depict black people back in the day, if you want to know what I'm referring to.)

What do I do to report this? I've tried several times and the report thing on mobile is really difficult to get through it.

Someone I can email maybe?

6 Replies

IMG_0557.png

were you going to add something else to this screenshot that answers my question? I don't see an answer to my question.

edit: I don't understand. is this commonplace on this forum? do you guys just like add these things for context? I'm not adding the photo because it's probably juts gonna get taken down and it's really offensive, I'd just google it. it shows a minstrel kind of cartoon used to depict black people back in the day, if you want to know what I'm referring to.

this screenshot just says that janis really liked the art and that she was naked on it.

I simply was providing the context, I highly doubt reporting what is considered one of the greatest album covers of all time will do anything but feel free to go to the album, tap the three dots, scroll down to report. The person who actually drew that artwork is on record as saying, his caricatures were a criticism of racism not an endorsement of it. 

did not ask for your opinion on the cover art, simply trying to know how to report racism. tried to report and it's really glitching on mobile, as I mentioned earlier. would anyone else know who I can email or something?

oh wait I figured it out! the thing you wanna do is contact support instead.

@jlope

I am not suggesting that there is a right or wrong opinion on this, but wanted to mention that this artist was a satirist, and this album was made by a band that was part of a progressive movement that was vehemently anti-racist. 

This context is deserved before condemnation, but do what you will.

Suggested posts