Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What do you think about R&B?

What do you think about R&B?

Leave a like if you like R&B and let's have a discussion about it.

I'm going to be creating an R&B playlist soon🤞.

Follow my Spotify please:

https://open.spotify.com/user/s2boxwixqp32s3rn28eric87s?si=SYuOvEYyTYun5x-T356t1A&utm_source=copy-li...

2 Replies

When people ask me what kind of music I listen to, "R&B hip-hop type stuff" is my default answer. I think, like a lot of genres, R&B is one of those that came out the radio age, and labeling stations for the styles of music they played. It used to mean "music made by black artists". If you made Pop or Rock music and are white, you are more likely to be labelled under those genres. If you are black, your music would be called R&B, essentially a lump of several genres under one name. Which genre society tends to consider an artist under owes heavily to their melanin levels. Nowadays this happens less and it's classified more strongly by its music characteristics, namely if it is reminiscent of the sound of the early R&B stars/legends. I think the lines between R&B, Soul, Hip-hop, and Funk are quite blurred, but I like all of them. According to Wikipedia, Contemporary R&B "[Contemporary R&B] features a distinctive record production style, drum machine-backed rhythms, pitch corrected vocals, and a smooth, lush style of vocal arrangement." 

R&B is usually based on African culture that is changing/evolving every decade. So in my opinion I don't think there is necessarily a set type but an ever-changing influence from what is currently mainstream. 

Suggested posts