Premium

Country

Chile

Device

Dell Inspiron 14 N4050

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro v1803

My Question or Issue

I've been using Spotify for like 5 years, and I've been able to adapt to every change there has been to the matching system. I have a really large collection, like many of us users do.

It's known that many songs may not be in the Spotify catalog or not available in the area for some reason, and it's been really useful to have the ability to take our old local files, put them in some directory and have them matched with its equivalent in the catalog.

I've faced the changes there have been: First we could do it song by song, and then it became automatic, having to rename and edit the ID3 tags of each song. I figured out the best way to do it, I did it even though it was a really hard work (because I still love Spotify), and it worked fine until today.

I don't know exactly since when (or what version) it started, but now I can't get any song matched to the catalog version. I have a "Local Files" playlist, so it's easy for me to keep track of every song I can't play directly, but now I updated my list with the songs that currently can't be played, and it only lets me play those that don't exist in the Spotify catalog, leaving my other playlists with lots of song that remain unplayable, even though I have the local versions.

This time I can't figure out what happened to the system, so if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I already refreshed my local-files.bnk.

Capture.PNG

Hey folks,

Thanks for bearing with us while this was looked into.

We've spoken to the teams, and going forwards we're no longer supporting this feature.

Rest assured we'll pass all of your feedback about this directly on to the right folks.

Comments
hansenkd
Composer

This appears to have happened a couple of days ago, and it's happening to many people.  I haven't seen it addressed.  It looks like it happened sometime Thursday.  There are a couple of other threads.  All local files have been unlinked from the Spotify database for unavailable tracks.  Highly frustrating and no fix in sight.

hansenkd
Composer

Bumping because this is getting no attention and seems to be a global issue. Is the matching feature for local files with tracks unavailable on Spotify, but in the database, no longer active?  Has it been permanently discontinued?  Or is it a build glitch that will be corrected?  This is a pretty big deal and nobody seems to have any answers.

Arkthur_US
Regular

hansenkd wrote:

Bumping because this is getting no attention and seems to be a global issue. Is the matching feature for local files with tracks unavailable on Spotify, but in the database, no longer active?  Has it been permanently discontinued?  Or is it a build glitch that will be corrected?  This is a pretty big deal and nobody seems to have any answers.

Thanks, hansenkd. I also think this issue is not getting enough attention. I hope we get useful answers soon.

hansenkd
Composer

It doesn't look like anyone is going to answer this.  I'd think we would hear something.  If Spotify has removed the functionality of matching local files to unavailable tracks in the database, that's kind of a big deal. One would think we would get some kind of answer.

Arkthur_US
Regular

I've already started to replace Spotify catalog unavailable songs with their only local version just to not lose them in my playlists, but yeah... A deal like this is big enough to be announced officially.

They should answer at least for us to know what's going on.

Arkthur_US
Regular

Bumping my thread to get it read.

Arkthur_US
Regular

Is there any chance someone from Spotify anwers this?

Almost any answer would be enough, really.

1. This is an issue that many of us have.

2. There hasn't been any announcement about changes in the matching system in latest updates (that I know).

3. You still have this site which tells us how to do this, but nothing has changed saying that songs won't be matched to Spotify catalog anymore. In fact, it literally says "We’ll do our best to match any unsupported local files with songs from the Spotify catalog."

4. Spotify indeed did a really good job matching songs. I don't know why would you take out such an amazing feature.

Please. We just want to know what happened. Don't leave us in the dark.

hansenkd
Composer

Yes, it is completely baffling that wa have absolutely no answers on this.  It's not a local computer problem because it is happening to many people.  It's not an individual file program because matching has ceased across the board, no matter the source of the local file.

The issue is tracks that are unavailable on Spotify, but still in the database, no longer matching local files, even with manipulated metadata.  This great feature has been functional for years and now it suddenly vanishes and nobody thinks it's important enough to tell us why or if it will be fixed?  Come on, somebody from Spotify or in connection with Spotify must be seeing this.  It's an integral feature that has stopped working.  We need answers.  Like yesterday.

Efekocaer
Casual Listener

I have the same problem.

I followed a way to solve this problem. I installed a Windows version of Spotify 1.0.86.337. It works in an interesting way! Local files and songs in the playlist match each other. To synchronize with your Android device, you also need to find an old apk of Spotify.

I don't know why Spotify has done this without any explanation, but if it removes this feature, I might consider canceling my Premium membership. Because the sound quality of some of the albums released by music companies is bad and I want to listen and synchronize from my own archive.

On both the mobile side and on the Windows side, I think they know that this change appears to have been disabled by new versions. I hope that whatever they have caused them to make this decision, they'il stop!

Arkthur_US
Regular

Sad as it sounds, cancelling my Premium Account is starting to sound very appealing, and more and more each day they don't answer this.