Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

Solved!
Highlighted

Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

tkuerts
I keep asking Alexa to "play my xyz playlist on Spotify" on my echo dot and she keeps saying "I could not find xyz on Spotify"...is this a bug or is she simply not able to play playlists that I create myself?
7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

Spotify
Spotify

Hey @tkuerts! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Can you give it a try without the "..my playlist" and give it a shot with “Play xyz playlist”. Also, is this only happening with this playlist? If so, can you try changing the name and giving it a try again? 

Let us know how it goes :) 

Solution!

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

mmckillen
Casual Listener
Just fixed the problem. As suggested by the initial response from Spotify Support... I changed the name of the playlist. At first it still didn't work... So I reverted back to the original playlist name. Now that I've change the playlist name... Then reverted back... It works.
Solution!

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

dcollett

Not sure who you spoke with, but this is definitely NOT true. I've created many personal playlists in Spotify, and when I say, "Alexa, play XXXXX playlist" it plays it. 

However, I DID have the exact same problem that all of you did. No matter what I tried, Alexa simply couldn't find any of my playlists. I tried renaming them, etc. but it never worked.

Finally, here's what I did to solve the problem, and it has worked since:

1. I unplugged the Echo device for a few minutes (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it). Then plug it back in. Press and hold the button with the dot on it for 5-10 seconds until the Echo ring lights up orange.

2. Openthe Alexa app on your phone > Settings > “Set up a new device” > Echo. When asked, select your 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network (Echo had difficulty connecting to my 5 Ghz network, or maybe it just can't).

3. After everything has connected, use this language: “Alexa, play XXXXXX playlist”

Note that you need to set Spotify as your default music library:

Settings > Music & Media > "Choose default music services" > Spotify

I hope this helps others. Good luck!

Solution!

alexaqueen

Alexa command.jpgAlexa Command

I think these Alexa commands will help you. If you would not able to solve this issue then you should contact cutomer support for Alexa App. In these days lot of peoples are using alexa app. It is the best app for amazon echo devices. Many functions and commands in Alexa but we don't know about it. So, we should have good knowledge about it, Because in upcoming years many Amazon or other companies products are coming. 

Solution!

grandfathermax

As with everyone else.  Until about 3 weeks ago I could say:

"Echo, play harriets playlist"

Note: (I changed the command word to Echo)

and the playlist for Harriet we created would play 99% of the time.  Spotify is set as default and it has worked ever since the Echo was released.

Now the well spoken lady says:

"I don't see the playlist Harriet in your music library"

If I go to the spotify App I can play the playlist fine.  I noticed that it was not working the same day I installed the Sonos Skill.  It may just be coincidence.

UPDATE @ 26th November 2017:

It has started working again as expected.  Nothing has changed other than Amazon doing their own updates.

"Echo, play harriets playlist"

Now plays harriets playlist as expected.  Hope it stays that way as my 5 year old will be "Bieberless" and grumpy otherwise.  (Silver lining.....)

Solution!

jdb_85

THIS WORKED FOR ME

I thought I would post my experience. After reading and attempting all the comments and advice on this thread, nothing seemed to work and my personal playlists didn’t play. 

I then went through my playlists one by one to identify if any WOULD play and I found two that played as expected. Both of these playlist had been set to download for offline playback. 

So I set another previously unplayable playlist to download for offline playback and Alexa found it no problem. 

That fixed it for me. 

Solution!

PhYrE
Casual Listener

I too had the classic problem of "I can't find your ____ playlist on spotify" no matter how I worded it.  I tried renaming playlists to all lowercase, one word, complicated vs simple. I tried disconnecting spotify from Alexa and so on. Nothing fixed it.

I did get it to work:

I noticed that in my "Default Music Services" for spotify was your US only services (Pandora, etc). I visited (on the web page) "Accounts & Lists" followed by "Your Content and Devices". A banner at the top said "Your default Kindle Store is currently set to Amazon.com. Go to the Manage Your Content and Devices page at Amazon.ca." It offered to convert my amazon.com account into an amazon Canadian account.

Once done, I reset the Alexa (probably unnecessary) with a pin and now those US music services don't show. Unlinked and relinked with Spotify and it works perfectly when I am asking for my own playlists.

I had to then sign out of the Amazon app on my phone, as it was still linked with the US store (so I would show a new app, but it wouldn't be an available feed to assign to the device).

129 Replies
Solution!

Spotify
Spotify

Hey @tkuerts! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Can you give it a try without the "..my playlist" and give it a shot with “Play xyz playlist”. Also, is this only happening with this playlist? If so, can you try changing the name and giving it a try again? 

Let us know how it goes :) 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @tkuerts!

We hope you're well.

How are you getting on, is this still happening?

If so, did the steps as suggested above help out?

Keep us in the loop, as we're really happy to help :)

If we've not heard back in around 24 hours, we'll close this thread up.

Thanks and have a lovely day.

/M

SeanMc5
Regular

Just got an Alexa Dot for Christmas, and Alexa Dot cannot find any of my play lists either. I tried asking with the word playlist and without. I used the artist name, and it cannot find it. Not sure what the issue is.

Noctro1
Casual Listener

Hi I'm having the same problem. Alexa asks me to ask for Spotify and playlist but when I do comes back with can't find it...

Shanperkins
She can find my Playlists on spotify but can't find any songs. She even repeats the name back to me and then offers to buy me prime music. I'm staring at the songs on my Spotify and she will play them through a Playlist or through an artist name, but can't find them individually. How do I correct that issue?

erice424

i have the sames issue 

that phrase does not work either 

Noctro1
Casual Listener
Hello, Got mine to work.. Went to Spotify, then settings, went to device, made sure my connect was stored on Spotify, then turned on listening.. after that, asked Alexa again and it worked..

Hope this useful...

Deckraj
Having the same problem. I can play Spotify on Alexa but I cannot get Alexa to recognize songs or playlists.

SeanMc5
Regular
Spoke to Spotify, and it does not allow Alexa to access personal playlists.
SUGGESTED POSTS