Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Open open.spotify.com links in desktop app

Open open.spotify.com links in desktop app

Is there still a way to open open.spotify.com links in the desktop app instead of the web app?

Apparently, it used to be possible, but there is no settings menu in the web player for me and going to https://open.spotify.com/settings redirects me to https://open.spotify.com/settings/account.

19 Replies

Hi! 🙂

That setting is on play.spotify.com, but not on the other one.
Try copying the Spotify URL, going to the desktop client and pasting it into its search bar. It should take you to the playlist / song / artist.

If you're still having trouble, let me know, I'll try to help. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

play.spotify.com just redirects to open.spotify.com

I know I can copy and paste it but that's a lot more effort than just opening the link. Is there really no way to do this anymore?

One thing is that could be done, actually!

Check your desktop client's preferences/settings for a moment to see if "Allow Spotify to be opened from Web" is allowed for you. Maybe that helps.. 🙂

Yeah, play.spotify.com used to be accessible with IE and Edge. Still using it with a user-agent spoof.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

My Client has "Allow Spotify to be Opened from the Web" ticked (green) but it still opens songs in the web client. Any help?

Ok, I managed to figure out what happened. The toggle has indeed been removed, but it's no longer needed. When in the web player, just click on the device switcher (the icon at the bottom, looks the same as in the desktop app) and choose your computer. The preference will stick until explicitly switched again.

This isn't a solution, it's a workaround.
The playlist only opens in the web player, so controlling what songs you want to play is very annoying unless you keep the web player open.

Yeah, this has really been bugging me. Spotifly pls, make your stuff better, not worse!

Please developers... It shouldn't be big deal. Maybe there's a solution in Google Chrome config?

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.27.36 PM.png

Lame workaround we shouldn't have to do but, if you share the URI instead of the song link, and dump THAT into the app search bar it will bring up the album with the song hightlighted. Closest solution i've been able to figure out yet.

You sir, are a champion!

I found this solution and love it!

If someone still need this... Install this extension, it fixes the problem.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/open-in-spotify-desktop-c/okkdbmdhpgmajopdpmflkldkemcldnjd...

If someone still need this... Install this extension, it fixes the problem.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/open-in-spotify-desktop-c/okkdbmdhpgmajopdpmflkldkemcldnjd...

wth? Why push me to the web inteface when I always use the app? And no way to sort this out in the settings any longer. I am ending my subscription. I can't keep paying to stupid **bleep** companies like this.

The Tampermonkey script works well! Thanks!

Crazy that Spotify leaves us haning like this, it really shouldn’t be necessary to install browser extensions for this!

Works in Edge to... great now it nearly works as it should.

Thanks Endixx for the userscript link and 9815pablo for the Chrome extension.  I mentioned Stopify before and just edited my post b/c it turns out it's buggy and does not work properly.  I tried a few other extensions for comparison and the best one seems to be Open Spotify link in client that 9815pablo recommended.  This one works well, loads the links instantly in the desktop player, and doesn't leave the browser tab open the way the script does.

Every 2 weeks Spotify updates the iOS app, but there hasn't been even 1 update to the desktop app in over a year, and it isn't even fully compatible with OSX Yosemite.  They've certainly done a great job abandoning the desktop player.

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. Having to locate the song in Spotify is exactly what we want to skip.

This is really frustrating. Nobody should need to install a Chrome extension for this!

It should be super easy for the Spotify web player developers to insert a redirection to the

spotify:

URL scheme.

Suggested posts