Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify web player won't play anything on any desktop browser

Spotify web player won't play anything on any desktop browser

Tried Chrome 61.0.3163.100 and Firefox 55.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

Load any song or album or playlist, press play. The icon changes to the pause icon, the album art goes grey and gets a pause icon overlay, the track gets a speaker icon next to it instead of the play button. But the song doesn't play and the track progress bar doesn't move from 0:00.

I can click on any time in the track and the track progress bar stays where it is as though the song is paused.

In Chrome's dev tools there is a single message in the console: "web-player.cf8d6aa7.js:1 It is recommended that a robustness level be specified. Not specifying the robustness level could result in unexpected behavior, potentially including failure to play." Failure to play is exactly what's happening.

Screenshot attached.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 11.43.30 AM.png
5 Replies

Same issue for me.

Seeing this also when I examine the resume or play fetch command in Chrome dev tools:

{
  "error": {
    "status": 401,
    "message": "No token provided"
  }
}

Hey @jamesbasler and @factorial

I can suggest one thing to try:

Open Spotify on your phone (leave the web player open) and click on the 'Available Devices'. Try switching to the web player, or switching between different devices.
You may need to reload the web player.

Keep me posted! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Ha. See my just posted response to original post. More or less did this another way.

Wondering if the Spotify ad wasn't loading properly but was preventing playback until it played. 

This problem is for desktops, not phones.  Are you suggesting that by doing this on your phone, the web player on your desktop will work?  That would be amazing, but I can't believe it.

@PhineasFinn

The problem might be with Spotify Connect which is meant for controlling different devices. The web player might get 'stuck' thinking that a different device of yours is in use right now, so using another device (your phone, another computer) could make the web player work again.

Here is a Solution posted by a regular user that found out what caused it. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts