Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[BB] Login not working (connection seems fine) after memory repair

Solved!

[BB] Login not working (connection seems fine) after memory repair

Hello lovely people,

My name is Christoph and I would be very grateful for any help you guys can offer me with my problem. I have seen there are several problems logged here about login problems, but they all seem to be connection related, which I don't think is my problem.

I have been using Spotify 0.5.0.3 on my Bold 9790, running OS 7.0, for a few months now.

A few days ago, after a reboot, my Blackberry informed me there was a problem with my internal memory storage and offered to repair it. My personal files, which had been missing at startup, returned soon enough and my phone informed me that the repair was successful. Spotify, however, started to act up.

Whenever I start the app, it gets stuck on the login screen with the wheel spinning without end. The password it remembers is way too long to be mine. The back button shuts the app down, the hang up button moves it to the background. All other keys are unresponsive. This happens both on 3G and Wifi with working BIS.

If I disable all data connections and start the app, it says 'Login Failed : Please check your login details and try again.'

Clicking OK here then lets me edit the information in the login form. If I then move the app to the background and switch the data connections (either or both, tried it all) on again, and click login with the correct login data entered, I get the spinning wheel again. If I untick the 'Remember me' box or not makes no difference if I shut or restart the app. The box will remain ticked/unticked, but upon app start there will always be the long password. (By long I mean significantly longer than the login box itself. I have to scroll a fair bit to get to the end of it to delete it.)

I have tried deleting the app and reinstalling it (several times). At the first start I was asked to enter my login information again, but the moment I click login I get the wheel again, and when I restart the app it has the long password again.

I have also deleted the app and installed version 0.5.1.2 as well as upgraded my OS to 7.1. None of these things seem to have had any effect.

Does anybody have any suggestions what else I could try?

Many thanks and all good wishes,

Christoph

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay, I have been doing some digging give this a try (I'll try to explain the best I can!)

1. Install Spotify if not still installed, but make sure it is not running. 

2. From the home screen, navigate to the "Media" icon and select. Should bring up a series of icons "Music", "Pictures" etc.

3. Press the Blackberry (menu) button, and select "Explore".

4. Have a look through the folder structure that appears to find the "spotify" folder. Its location depends on your device but it will be there somewhere. 

5. In the Spotify folder, enter the "users" folder, you should see a list of the usernames you have logged in on using that device. 

6. Highlight the folder of your username, press the BlackBerry (menu) button and select "Delete".

7. Exit the file manager and launch Spotify again, and fingers crossed it will allow you to login! 

If not, uninstall Spotify, use the same technique as above to delete all of the spotify folder (I assumed they would be removed once uninstalled, but on my test handset that did not happen) and then install again.

Fingers crossed this works!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That sounds strange! 

When you deleted and reinstalled the application, did you do a soft reboot before you installed again? If not, you might want to try that. Remove the Spotify application from App World, if it doesn't request you restart, press Left Alt + Right Shift + Enter at the same time on your keypad, the phone should reboot. Then install Spotify again from App World. 

Once that is done, before you attempt to log in, double check Spotify has all permissions set under: 

Options > Device > Application Management > Spotify > Edit Permissions > Set all to "Allow".

Now, load the application and attempt to log in again. I have had issues connecting using 3G before (see this topic) so I would suggest you do it over WiFi. Make sure you are logging in using your dedicated Spotify username and password, as the BlackBerry app does not support Facebook login. 

The long password you see when you start the application and it auto signs in is correct, as Spotify obscures your login details for security reasons, so that is normal behaviour. 

Let me know if anything here helps!

Peter

Peter

Hej Peter,

Many thanks for your reply and the welcome. I had done reboots both after deleting and after installing before, but have just tried again. Nothing has changed.

I have noticed that now after deleting (I went through Options/Device/App Management, hoping that might be more thorough) and the reboot, when I went to the AppStore, Spotify still showed up in MyWorld and the button had changed from "Install" to "Reinstall". Is this because AppStore remembers I once downloaded the app, or does that indicate there is still some Spotify data stored somewhere on my phone that did not get purged properly when I deleted the app? 

Many thanks for your help,

Christoph

I'm pretty sure App World just remembers you have downloaded it before using that BlackBerry ID. 

Have you tried leaving it for a while on the login screen (after you enter your details) I find sometimes it can take a small age for mine to connect! 

The Spotify update and OS 7.1 update should have fixed any errors on the device, so I am not really sure what is going on here! Are you logging in using a Spotify username (not email address)? Also do you have a memory card (SD) in the phone? Is it possible for you to try connecting on another network?

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you. I just noticed something:

I usually log in with my username and password. So I just tried logging in with my e-mail address. I accidentally picked the wrong e-mail address, because I could not remember off the top of my head to which account I had registered Spotify. That way I found out that if I try to log in with anything but my correct username/password combination I very quickly get the message: "Login Failed : Could not login to Spotify. Maybe you've changed or misspelled your password?" So the connection to the server should really be working, right?

I don't have a memory card, and I have tried several wifi networks...

Christoph

Marked as solution

Okay, I have been doing some digging give this a try (I'll try to explain the best I can!)

1. Install Spotify if not still installed, but make sure it is not running. 

2. From the home screen, navigate to the "Media" icon and select. Should bring up a series of icons "Music", "Pictures" etc.

3. Press the Blackberry (menu) button, and select "Explore".

4. Have a look through the folder structure that appears to find the "spotify" folder. Its location depends on your device but it will be there somewhere. 

5. In the Spotify folder, enter the "users" folder, you should see a list of the usernames you have logged in on using that device. 

6. Highlight the folder of your username, press the BlackBerry (menu) button and select "Delete".

7. Exit the file manager and launch Spotify again, and fingers crossed it will allow you to login! 

If not, uninstall Spotify, use the same technique as above to delete all of the spotify folder (I assumed they would be removed once uninstalled, but on my test handset that did not happen) and then install again.

Fingers crossed this works!

Peter

Peter

Brilliant, thank you so much! This worked. Oddly enough, it still had the user information saved and automatically logged me in, but I got in without problems. I very much appreciate your help, Peter, thank you!

No problem 😉 

One of your playlist files must have been corrupted from the repair, deleting that folder just makes the application pull the information from the Spotify servers again. 

Enjoy your music! Be sure to let me know if you come accross anymore issues.

Peter

Peter

Hi there, I have the exact same problem, followed the exact same steps, but it did not worked for me.

Still cant log in after reboot, reinstal, clearing the user file, switching off the 3G... and so on

Any other idea?

@Ginganababy wrote:

Hi there, I have the exact same problem, followed the exact same steps, but it did not worked for me.

Still cant log in after reboot, reinstal, clearing the user file, switching off the 3G... and so on

Any other idea?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Are you attempting to log in via Facebook or do you have a Spotify username and password? 

If you have an account which requires you to sign in using Facebook, be aware that BlackBerry does not support Facebook authentication for Spotify, you need to retrieve your Spotify username (which will be a string of digits) and set a device password for your account and use those details to log in on BlackBerry. Its the same process as described for Sonos here.

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the welcoming.

I do sign in by a spotify usernamen and pass, and and pretty much tried every solutions mentioned earlier. Have no clue on how to log back in to spotify.

Spotify on my BB  has been working for a week, but yesterday just frozen during the log on (the whell doesn't stop spinning for hours.

I tried  pretty much every solution I have found in the forum, i Reinstalled, I switch off 3G, I emptied the users folder, I deleted the Spotify folder and reinstalled...

Im getting out of ideas... and its a shame, I was really loving it. Now im moving to angola for a few months and I really would love to have access to my spotify playlist offline 😕

Very strange! When you reinstalled are you sure you removed all of the Spotify files? 

On my device, I appeared to have Spotify folders on both the internal memory and on the SD card which you most likely need to delete on both. Also if you haven't done so, try removing all of the Spotify files rather than just the user ones. 

Also, are you connected to WiFi when you are trying to login? 

Peter

Peter

I did removed all the spotify files in the internal memory (Device/home/user/spotify no longer exists)

Regarding memory card, i could not find where can are any spotity files, but i believe is not as issue, since it does not log on, even with the memory carde removed.

I just tried again to reinstall the app, with the mobile coverage switched off (only WiFi working) trying to log on with the spotify user / pass... and still nothing...

Are you able to log into Spotify on the same network using another device such as a laptop or desktop? 

Also, it is a personal phone or is it from your employer? 

Peter

Peter

I can logon to the website (https://www.spotify.com/pt/), I dont have the spotify app installed anywhere else.

And it is a personal phone.

Some aditional info:

BIS Connection: WiFi

BES Connection: Not connected

Hey Ginganababy - Could confirm exactly which BB device you're using?

Hello, it the 9700 model

Suggested posts