Premium

Country

United States 

Device 

Galaxy 9 and Samsung Galaxy S21 

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Group session invites not working. Issues have persisted for over a week. When sending the link it takes you to a generic Spotify page (see screenshot)

Issues persist regardless of how invite is sent (copy, SMS, Messenger)

I have reinstalled app multiple times. Restarted router. Attempted from different WiFi. Attempted from multiple devices. Attempted from multiple user accounts 

Screenshot_20210819-085914_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20210819-090049_Messages.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I’ve gone through tons of topics to get an answer on how to get the group sessions to work and I finally found one!

- start a group session

- got to add friends and copy the link

- send the link to your friends and have them copy it

- once they copy the link go onto the app and paste the link in the search bar

- a screen will pop up with a button to join the session

This is the only way I have been able to get sessions to work and it works everytime for me. Hopefully anyone having this problem can find this reply to get it to work because I have stressed so much over all the different ways to get it work.

View solution in original post

32 Replies

Hey @Llamarouge1

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

First up, we'd recommend that you try logging out and then logging back in twice. We know this sounds odd, but it's how the app forces a cache refresh.

If this doesn't do the trick, we'd recommend creating a hotspot on your phone and using that to check if that makes the difference.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I am a Spotify Premium user with the same issue of the Group Session link not working in previous weeks. I logged out and logged back in twice and now the feature has disappeared completely from Spotify.

Hi there @chaj1,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

Try running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If the feature is still missing or the links aren't working properly, could you try on a different device to see how it goes?

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Did all the steps you recommended and still not working. The link will present as "Listening is Everything" and will just go to the default Spotify website instead of the group session joining.

Hi @chaj1,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you send us a screenshot showing what you see after you try to access the Group Session?

Also, please let us know if you were able to test with a different device, this information will come in handy..

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

IMG_1732.jpg

 This is the image that is gotten after clicking on the link to join the group session. Two other friends of mine have the same issue with the link on different devices. It doesn't matter who starts the session; the link is always broken. Thank you for all of your help.

Hey @chaj1,

Thanks for the info 🙂

As a workaround, could you make a screenshot of the code of the playlist? Then you can send it to your friends so they can scan it and see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

Will this functionality be added again anytime? As I am currently seeing it's removed because I have followed the steps @Eni suggested and I have ended up with removed "Start Session" button.

Maybe @Eni can answer the question.

Hey @vakhokoto,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Hope you don't mind me replying 🙂

Can you clarify if you're not seeing the start Session button at all when you want to start a session or when you try joining one?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

Hey @Alex

I don't see the start session when I want start one from mobile app on android.

I got Samsung Galaxy S21.

Hey @vakhokoto,

Thanks for the reply.

It would be helpful if you can let a friend/ family member log in with their Premium account on your phone and check whether they see the START SESSION button. This way we can check if it's an account or device related issue.

Can you also let us know your device model, OS version and Spotify version?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

My friend and I have had the same issue as the original poster for several months. We both use iPhones and we both have premium Spotify accounts. We used to be able to join each other everyday. But then all of a sudden the link that we could share to each other started generating a generic Spotify home page link like stated above. We found a work around where one of us could start a session, screenshot the bar code it generated and send it to the other to be scanned on Spotify. That worked for 3 or so months. We tried to join a session today and now even the bar code that is normally generated has been removed. And the link it generates to join a session is STILL just a generic Spotify home page link. So now there’s no workaround at all. 

We’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, logging in and out multiple times, different devices. It makes no difference. So now we have literally no way to join a group session. 

Hey @rdf8_xt-nd6u,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We understand you’ve already tried reinstalling. However, we’d like to suggest a clean reinstall in both phones as this is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be affecting the performance of the app.

If the issue persists, let us know if it makes any difference if you start the Group Session from your phone or from your friend's phone. 

We'll be on the lookout for your next response. 

CarlosEModerator

Hi I am having the same issues as the people above. My partner and I have followed your steps multiple times. We have tried different devices from desktops to Alexa (yes we switched who I'd the "host" of the group sessions). None of it works. If I have to keep re installing, logging in and even clearing cache manually; maybe the issue is with group sessions itself. If multiple people have the same issue then it seems even more true. Maybe you should get debug group and figure out what is the actual issue. I'm sorry I don't want to be a Karen but this is inconvenient. I'm kinda resigning myself that this service does not work and I should just go to some third party service to have the same group experience that you advertise Spotify being able to give me.

Screenshot_20220520-091031.jpg
Screenshot_20220520-092922.jpg
Screenshot_20220520-092915.jpg

Hi @MGSkillet!

Could you share with us a short screen recording which shows what happens when you open the Group Session invite link? That way we can get a clear understanding of how things look on your end.

If possible, try opening the invite link on another mobile device (a friend's or a relative's would do) to see if the issue is present there.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi everyone!

Solved this one. You have to open the QR code option of the session and scan it to access the join session feature. The link doesn't really work for some reason. Hope it helps!

Hello mate, i had the same problem. I was throwing the link from messenger, then from whatsapp and in this case we succeeded.

It's very clear that it's the actual service that needs work. We haven't been able to get a group session working for months. It's obviously broken and needs fixing. We have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared cache, tried different people hosting, qr code is not even there anymore, sharing through messenger and WhatsApp, we just can NOT get into a session. So when are you guys going to admit that and fix it? This has been a really long term issue that woulf occasionally work but now it's just impossible. 

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We appreciate the time you took following the troubleshooting steps and sharing the process that works for you @RMConcepcion and @indigo_night.

We're glad to know that the workaround worked just fine. However, we’ll keep an eye on this issue with the link to solve it as soon as possible.

In case anything else comes up, we'll be here for you.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts