Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues casting to Chromecast audio

Issues casting to Chromecast audio

An eternal issue it seems, starting a new thread to see if any more recent solutions have come up. Suddenly, after working for years, my chromecast audio stops/lags for 40 seconds and then starts again, for a couple of seconds before it stops permanently. 

Casting from Spotify on new iPhone, on new Macbook and on web browser (Chrome and Firefox tried), all software is up to date and I've reset the router, uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify on the phone. Nothing works. Trying to cast from the open.spotify.com web version has been branded as a solution but this is not working either. Someone please help...

Top Answer
MihailY

Hey folks,

We've moved the last few comments from the other thread here so a new investigation can be started. Please share the following (if you haven't already):

• A detailed description of your issue and the exact steps to reproduce it. If possible, please include a short screen recording.
  • The model, OS version and Spotify version of the affected devices. 
  • Any troubleshooting steps you've tried.
  • The last time the issue occurred (please include your time zone as well).

Thanks!

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

Thank you for all the reports and detailed info.
This is now being looked into backstage. We'll keep you posted as soon as we know anything new on the matter.

Keep your apps up-to-date in the meantime 🙂
Cheers!

27 Replies

Still a problem on a Google Pixel 6 and Spotify app v8.8.36.522

Just ran into the same issue myself. Had the same issue a few years back and now today again. I’m running version 8.8.64.560.

Hey @erikesbjornsson,

Thanks for posting in the Community and the troubleshooting tried so far.

Here are a few more things to try:

- A different account

- A different internet connection, e.g. a hot spot from a mobile device

- A different set of devices to cast from and to.

Let us know id this brought any change.

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have exactly the same problem since a couple of weeks. It plays for 30 seconds or something.

Tried a new google home, other wifi, resetting chromecast. Doesn't help. 

When i cast audio from other apps this problem does not occur. 

So I'm 99% sure it's a spotify devices problem, specifically for chromecast audio.

Because when i play spotify on my phone, Bluetooth speaker, or pc, it does not get this problem. So it doesnt occur on other devices, and not in other apps. 

Same issue here. Fails to connect most of the time while other apps don't have a problem.

For some weird reason it works with the help of Google Home , telling my Google Home : "Hey Google, play Spotify from my Chromecast Audio" solves the problem. So this is my workaround for now. Hope that helps someone

Thanks, I'm afraid it doesn't solve the problem. Both when casting from iphone and macbook, same issue. And you can't hotspot since you have to be on the wifi network to cast. Don't have multiple accounts.

it's exactly the same for me. sometimes the song will be playing on the phone or computer but no sound via chromecast, and/or lagging so bad that the playback stops, while it's flawless on the computer or phone, and other apps can stream without problems.

Hey folks,

We've moved the last few comments from the other thread here so a new investigation can be started. Please share the following (if you haven't already):

• A detailed description of your issue and the exact steps to reproduce it. If possible, please include a short screen recording.
  • The model, OS version and Spotify version of the affected devices. 
  • Any troubleshooting steps you've tried.
  • The last time the issue occurred (please include your time zone as well).

Thanks!

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem on my chromecast. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled, same issue.  Recent reports of the same in the play store. 

I also have this problem. My Galaxy s21+ will cast spotify to my chrome cast but none of my other Google speakers. This was working a few months ago but since has been broken.

The speakers chime as if spotify is trying to connect but after about 15 seconds the spotify app gives up and never connects.

Windows 10
Spotify 1.2.26.1187

I am having the same issue. Other Music apps such as musicbee work fine using the wifi speaker.

Spotify can not connect either via desktop app, chrome tab or on android. very annoying and tired all the "fixes".

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Spotify-not-working-with-Google-Home/td...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Spotify-can-t-connect-to-Chromecast-Aud...

Tried:

• Unlinking / Relinking Spotify to Google Assistant
  • Rebooting wifi network
  • Rebooting devices + factory resetting
  • Using google chrome web app, desktop spotify app, multiple iphones, voice command
  • Clear cache of Google App, Google Home App, Google Assistant App, and Spotify App
  • Uninstall Spotify App
  • Reinstall Spotify app
    • Typically, Android phones will automatically login with smart lock; I think this is where the problem lies
  • Log out of your account in the Spotify app
    • I used the "Login without a password" option, which will send you an email with a link to login

Still doesn't work

Also tried ordering and returning multiple google home devices and they all don't work. However, soundcloud and youtube music has worked on all of them.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 6 pro,  Google Home(s), Google Chromecast Audio

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

Within the last 30 days, Spotify has begun to stop playing audio momentarily while casting to a Google Home Group.  The behavior is:
1. Cast to group containing several google home/audio devices

2. Songs play successfully for 1 - several songs

3. A new song starts, however audio stops playing

4. Spotify app shows that the progress bar still moving and the device is still connected/casting to the appropriate group

5. At some point before the song ends (via progress bar) the audio will start playing again on the casted group.   

6. Song starts at the beginning (and NOT from the last shown progress) as if nothing had happened.  

7.  This continues to happen every few songs over the listening session

Steps taken:

• Rebooted all devices
  • Unlink Spotify from Google Home app
  • Logged out and uninstalled Spotify app
  • Reinstall and log in
  • Relink Spotify to Google Home app
  • Forget network and rejoin network

So far nothing has been successful in correcting the issue.

I also have a Pandora account which I use in exactly the same manner and does not have this issue, so I'm fairly confident it is not a network or Google related issue.

Hey there @eltontian & @Loganizzi,

Thanks for reaching out!

So that we can look into this further, could you also provide us with the info requested by @MihailY earlier in the thread?

Many thanks.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I believe that all the information @MihailY requested is in my post that you copied over above.  The only additional information I can see is:
Spotify version:  8.8.96.364

Last time this issue occurred:  Dec 31st, 2 - 6pm (eastern time)

Hey folks!

Thank you for all the reports and detailed info.
This is now being looked into backstage. We'll keep you posted as soon as we know anything new on the matter.

Keep your apps up-to-date in the meantime 🙂
Cheers!

VasilModerator

Suggested posts