Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Show original year of album release

I'd like to be able to see the date an album was originally released, even if the current version is a re-release. So many albums are re-released that for some artists it looks like all of their albums came out in the last few years, even though some of them may actually be a decade old or older.

When this happens, I wind up just having to go to Wikipedia or Allmusic to find out the real info. But why drive me away from the Spotify experience?

We're excited to announce that we've managed to implement this idea. Recently, our content team has made some improvements to the way we validate and interpret content from rights holders. We've updated nearly 50,000 albums already! You may notice some remaining content not showing accurate original release year and we're working on improving this content in the coming months. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the music.
Comments
jojo9090

Come on Spotify. Your Not Right Now status was ‎back in 16-02-2012. I appreciate you have alot to do but this is fundemental to a music library. Really annoying and everyone else I know on Spotify thinks the same. Of course nearly all decent albums have had a re-release of some sort. And yeh if you have to manually put in original elease date then guess that's what you've got to do. Plenty of people out there needing work.

Cheers

juicejuice

Spotify has to realise the value they can have as a commercial entity in being the "one source" for each person's private music taxonomy. I know this will be difficult to crack, but I'm sure there is a creative solution.

mistrijah

Frank Zappa's works were released (well the ones on spotify at least) between 1966-1993 but all have 2012 its just so frustrating, would be great to have them dated and shown cronologically.. hey i could do it for you, employ me and we can fix this an artist at a time. starting with Zappa 🙂

Gameman

And Harry Nilsson released an album in the year 1900?  WTF!

I think the approach it is not correct.

One part is the original metadata included in the song.

Another part is the original relase date of the album, that allows you to have the discography of each band / artist, sorted by year (the most logical thing in the world)

This requires only one guy inserting on each album the original realease data in an additional information field, sorttable.

I think it's extremely easy, helpful, and a quiality jump.

Thanks.

Yellowstreet

Seems like a good idea.

gaz8080

I would say this idea has now become an essential. The current order albums are listed in is meaningless, it's a random order in effect. Original release year should be added as a sort OPTION as well as alphabetical and actual release year.

jerich82

I understand the rights holders issues and all, but why can't spotify add original release date while still showing the current release dat? Come on, it's not that hard!

DocGrisou

I agree.

And in general, providing additional infos about the album, musicians, dates, etc. would be great. The more precise, the better. I think this will be important, also considering the competition of alternative platforms.

Anyway, already loving Spotify as it currently is! My fav, stay on top!

Rorey
Status changed to: Under Consideration

At the moment, we don't have plans to add the original release year as the default release year. As many of you know, we receive all of our content from the rights holders and content metadata tells us when the album was released.

However, we're collecting some feedback to review this idea once again so please add your vote to the poll posted here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Which-release-year-display-do-you-prefer-...

Thanks for the feedback.