Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Custom Spotify player for website?

Custom Spotify player for website?

Hi, I have a client that is putting together a new website design and they have a custom Spotify player as part of it. As a web designer who has dabbed in API's myself, I wasn't sure how feasible this was. I told them the original embed players should be good enough. I'm prepared to tell them no.

The website will be built through WordPress on Elementor Pro and Astra Pro.

A few questions:

- Is this even possible? (even with the Web SDK, API, etc)

- Does this break any sort of policy with Spotify?

- Does the API or Web SDK have a limitation even if we got it to work?

- Are there developers that could be hired to implement this? (open to budget)

qKxSaEF

3 Replies

You can use the Spotify Web Playback SDK to create a Spotify Connect device, then use the Web API to switch over to the player.

Keep in mind, this requires a user to be logged in and have Spotify Premium.

The Web Playback SDK docs are at https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-playback-sdk/

Hope this helped 🙂

Thanks for the feedback. Two questions:

- Would this work as intended for the public visiting the website? (aka they aren't logged in, just clicking around)

- Are there developers that can be hired to set this up and design it?

- Would this work as intended for the public visiting the website? (aka they aren't logged in, just clicking around)

To answer this, no. Once you integrate Spotify's API into your website, anyone who wants to use it must be a premium user and log into their account through your website. Your website needs to handle the logic to fetch an access token so you can control their Spotify playback through your own player (https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/general/guides/authorization/)

Does this break any sort of policy with Spotify?

I believe you need a written approval from Spotify if it's a commercial project. You should read through their ToS and development guidelines.

Suggested posts