Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Follow button

Follow button

I'm using the Spotify follow button (it's an iFrame element)  in a simple website.  When a user clicks the link, their default browser opens and they're prompted to login.  However if I you go directly to the url specified in as an attribute in the iFrame element, it works as expected.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you. 

6 Replies

I forgot to actually ask a question.  Is there a way to make this iFrame work as expected and NOT open the users browser to force them to log in?  Like I said, if you go straight to the url that's an attribute in the iFrame, it functions as it should but of course, I can't embed it in my site that way.  

Any help is appreciated.  Also, I hate iFrames.

Is the URL that opens when you click the button different from the one specified as an attribute?

Thanks for your response, I'm pretty desperate to figure this out.  

Yes, it opens this
https://accounts.spotify.com/en/login?
...with some query string params after that 

spot login.JPG

The user has to be logged in to follow another user/artist. When I tried the button here, it prompts me to login only the first time I click it. Does the same behavior occur on your site?

I guess so.  

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intended functionality.  If a user clicks the follow link while using a phone that has the Spotify app installed, they're still being prompted to login which is what I was trying to avoid because I don't think anyone knows their app passwords off the top of their head, and it's simply an extra step they'll have to take.  There doesn't seem to be a direct connection between the link and the Spotify app itself.  Thoughts?

Again, thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

It sounds like you're expecting the Spotify app to authenticate the user on mobile devices, if the app is installed. Why didn't you say this in the beginning? This is possible through the iOS SDK with third-party apps, so, in principle, Spotify could implement it with websites as well. Although, it doesn't seem to be implemented currently.

Furthermore, you never answered my question: After I login once, I never have to login again (this also applies to me on my mobile device). Is this the behavior you're experiencing as well?

If you really want help, then you need to put more effort into providing enough detail in your posts, and you should generally answer the questions that other people ask.

Remember, the user has to be logged in one way or another so Spotify knows which user is following the artist/user.

Suggested posts