Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

We have been using those SDKs since they became available.

Our particular app (Amazing Slow Downer) lets the user play music more slowly, since a couple of years ago also songs from Spotify. The "ios-streaming-sdk" is a beautifully designed framework that lets an audio developer do practically everything needed.
In our case it makes it possible to access the raw audio samples and this way process the sound and then playback the processed audio using our regular audio playback engine. With your new SDK this is not possible. It might be that the "ios-streaming-sdk" is more difficult to use for an average developer but that also makes it more powerful.

We have many users that uses Spotify. Many users switch from other streaming services such as "Apple Music", Tidal, Amazon Music etc to Spotify just to be able to slow down streaming music in real time.

We believe our app gives Spotify many many new subscribers, so many that it would actually pay off for Spotify to maintain the "ios-streaming-sdk".

We only use "playlist" functions and after fixing a couple of bugs in the "metadata framework" available on github, everything works 100%. Although there are certainly some bugs in the “ios-streaming-sdk”, they are very few and don’t affect our app.

We also have an Android version of our app that uses your Android streaming SDK and it also works very good.

We believe Spotify will loose thousands of users, so many that the minimal cost Spotify need to spend on maintenance will pay off manifold.

Since our app also supports playback and slowing down of streaming Apple Music, many of our users will probably switch from subscribing to Spotify to subscribing to Apple Music.

You write:

"After September 1st, important functionality in the streaming SDKs will stop working."
Exactly what does that mean? What part of the SDK will continue to work?

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs!

Rolf Nilsson
CTO
Roni Music

935 Replies

I use slow downer every day. It is what drove me to using Spotify over Apple Music.  Then I discovered all of the other features on Spotify that helped me make the decision to get rid of my other streaming services. It would be greatly appreciated if the app could be supported on an ongoing basis by Spotify.

Please consider to support this. Turning off this feature will only reduce play counts for artists, when musicians have to resort to other means (potentially outside the streaming realm) to slow down and learn how to play the song.

Hi!

If Spotify cuts the support of Amazing Slow Downer, it will be a tremendous loss for us musicians. I'm a bass player, and it's necessary to have the possibility to slow down to learn difficult rifs. So i really hope that all musicians rise up and stand together to prevent this from happen. 

BRDGS

Tore Husby

As a spotify user, I use amazing slow downer for my college education as I am a jazz major. This helps me transcribe and learn from jazz artists to further my ability to learn. And I am not the only one. All other music students (jazz in particular) that I know of, including middle and high schoolers use amazing slow downer through spotify. If spotify sticks to this decision, this will mean that the business does not support or care about the development and furthering of college and arts education!

I actually switched from amazon music to Spotify to use amazing slow downer. The ASD app has been so useful to learning music. I have grown to really enjoy using Spotify music as well. It is a great streaming platform.  If Spotify will not work with ASD anymore though, I will have to reconsider staying with Spotify. It does not make sense to pay for two streaming platforms, especially in this economy for how expensive everything is now... woof.. I would hate to see Spotify not allow ASD to be compatible anymore. Thank you

Hello,

I’m a professional guitar instructor and use Spotify with Amazing Slow Downer with all of my students. I hope that Spotify will reconsider the decision to stop allowing compatibility with the Amazing Slow Downer app on iOS. Otherwise, I’ll need to use another service.

Thanks, Paul

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RECONSIDER THIS I DON’T WANT TO BE FORCED TO USE ANOTHER  MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE I LOVE ASD WITH ALL MY HEART PLEASE DON’T LOSE YOUR USERS. I’LL EVEN PAY EXTRA FOR YOU TO KEEP THIS. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RECONSIDER THIS DECISION 

The Amazing Slowdowner is the only reason that I have a Spotify Premium account.  If they remove this support, they will lose my subscription the same day.

Spotify posted my comment twice.

Your app is the only reason that I have a Spotify subscription.  If they break the functionality, they will lose my subscription, too.  Thank you for the work that you're doing.

I and several other members of our church's worship team use an app called Amazing Slow Downer (ASD) to play songs from Spotify at a different pitch in order to rehearse them privately (individually) in the chosen key. But I was just notified this morning that after September 1, 2022 the ASD app will no longer "have access to streaming Spotify content in a way that works for slowing down audio". Please allow ASD access to Spotify streaming so we can use Spotify in preparation for worship. Thanks!

I and several other members of our church's worship team use an app called Amazing Slow Downer (ASD) to play songs from Spotify at a different pitch in order to rehearse them privately (individually) in the chosen key. But I was just notified this morning that after September 1, 2022 the ASD app will no longer "have access to streaming Spotify content in a way that works for slowing down audio". Please allow ASD access to Spotify streaming so we can use Spotify in preparation for worship. Thanks!

I am a musician that uses Amazing Slow Downer as my primary practice tool and obtained a Spotify Premium account three years ago because of it's integration with Amazing Slow Downer (Roni Music). That comes out to about $3600 that I have paid to Spotify during this time.

I strongly urge Spotify to reconsider their decision to discontinue support of iOS/Android steaming SDK as of September 1, 2022 so I can continue to use Spotify and Amazing Slow Downer.

Dave M. Falmouth, MA

I am a musician that uses Amazing Slow Downer as my primary practice tool and obtained a Spotify Premium account three years ago because of it's integration with Amazing Slow Downer (Roni Music). That comes out to about $3600 that I have paid to Spotify during this time.

I strongly urge Spotify to reconsider their decision to discontinue support of iOS/Android steaming SDK as of September 1, 2022 so I can continue to use Spotify and Amazing Slow Downer.

Dave M. Falmouth, MA

As a long time user of both Spotify and Amazing Slow Downer, I’m asking you to reconsider allowing ASD to work with Spotify. I’m a premium family subscriber and use this in my guitar teaching business, and having the ASD app work with Spotify is critical to how I earn my living.

As a teacher it is crucial to be able to reduce the tempo of a song, so the students can play to the original song. The fact that Spotify will now longer support this possibility is catastrophic decision! Do I really have to switch to apple music.

Liebe Grüsse

Benno Kaiser

I use Amazing Slow Downer to practice music at slower tempos and in different keys. ASD using spotify as proven to be the easiest method I’ve seen for warping audio allowing me to use full playlists of songs I create on spotify to practice. Please reconsider getting rid of this functionality as it has helped me immeasurably as a musician. 

Count me as one of those that uses Spotify almost exclusively for Amazing Slow Downer.  This decision would cripple my music-learning, and make it a very easy decision to switch to another streaming.   I beg BEG the Spotify folks to reconsider this.  Please.

As a teacher it is crucial to be able to reduce the tempo of a song, so the students can play to the original song. The fact that Spotify will now longer support this possibility is catastrophic decision! Do I really have to switch to apple music.

Liebe Grüsse

Benno Kaiser

I am a music teacher that counts on slowing down songs to teach them - please don’t ban Spotify users from using the ASD and being able to slow down songs ! 

Suggested posts