Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please stop playing with the like button

Please stop playing with the like button

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone 13

Operating System: 16.5.1

Spotify user here for nearly a decade, just wanted to ask if we could please stop moving the like/“heart” button. It seems like every update it gets changed. 

Most of us are right handed so it should be on the right side, maybe make it an option for lefties to put it on the left.

For me personally it’s one of the greatest features about Spotify for ease and music exploration, especially when I’m driving and can tap without taking my eyes off the road with my phone mount.

Seems like most of us agree on this, so why change something that isn’t broken?

1 Reply

I'de like to elaborate on this;

I was noticing how the placement of certain controls seemed to be randomly different, but then other times, back to normal. I thought they were experimenting with the UI, but must have decided against the change or something. But then it would happen again. And again. It's not just the heart button being moved either; it's even worse.

It took me a while before I could pinpoint what was happening; They now have two different UI's for the player! The normal one you see when you select music to play, and another one for when you play one of their curated playlists.

The normal UI has the shuffle symbol on left, and the repeat symbol on the right. In the other one, a '+' on the left to favorite song (more about this in a sec), and a '-' on the right. I understand the idea they have behind this; listening through list, and quickly sifting out your likes/dislikes. But the reality of the situation is that I'de be driving, getting all into something that plays, and so I'de grab my phone and muscle memory try to put it on repeat, but I'de end up essentially deleting the song from my spotify's existence, by accident lol. 

Besides being obviously inconsistent UI's, 

I honestly don't ever want to be able to accidently remove a song, from a single click. Whereas, I use repeat ALL the time.

As far as the heart symbol; It looks like they must have recently decided to change from using the heart (filled in green when favorited), to showing a '+' with a circle around it. Then if you favorite something, it changes symbol to a green checkbox. That is SOOO much less intuitive! 

Everyone will be able to get used to it, sure. But it doesn't make sense why they would decide to change something that previously was universally understood without explanation. I assumed the plus must have been for adding to queue or something at first lol

Suggested posts