Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Publish personal app which uses Spotify API on App Store?

Publish personal app which uses Spotify API on App Store?

Hi! I'm developing a fun music game and am using Spotifys API to play short music bits, get album art and user information. I now want to publish this on Apple App Store, is this possible (and legal)?

I don't know if this is the correct place for this post. If not, please tell me and I'll move it. 

Thank you! 

3 Replies

Of course, publishing third-party apps is legal, but in your particular case, you may break the terms of service - as far as I remember it prohibits "games" (trivia, etc.) that use Spotify's data.

https://developer.spotify.com/policy/#iii-some-prohibited-applications

alexantenna_0-1634108870708.png

Yes, it looks like I'm breaking the Developer Policy then... Is there some way to get approval from Spotify to continue development or do I have to drop the project completely? Thank you. 

Don't bother asking - they will not answer. On the other side, I think they will not bother to deal with you or even get to know you if you're small and gonna make millions out of your app. My suggestion - go and publish and see how it will go. I see Spotistats app in the market (app naming violation) and my app Spotify Uncharted also directly violates the naming policy but lives well since January... 

Suggested posts