Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify iOS SDK

Spotify iOS SDK

We have a significant issue with my dev team related to in app playback of music from user's connecting their Spotify account to our app.  We are using the most recent Spotify iOS SDK (and Web API for some things too) and the devs say that this only allows for "remote-control" of the Spotify player.  So if I play a song inside our app (Resonate) and then look at Spotify, same song is playing.  And if I change song on Spotify player, then that changes what's playing in Resonate.  This is a serious limitation that we do not want.  But the devs say this is the only thing the iOS Spotify SDK allows ... which makes no sense to me as almost every other app I look at, including other apps like Vertigo Music, SoundShare, SoundHound, Shazam, etc all allow for in app music play that is separate from and independent of the Spotify player.  We have a huge disconnect on this and my devs have basically given up.  Some research I have done might indicate that the reason is Spotify's previous SDK allowed independent music play and perhaps apps are continuing to use Spotify's old SDK, but I have no idea if this is true.

Another related issue is that my devs say that in order to play a song through the SDK, it is necessary that the Spotify application is active and if the iOS system considers that Spotify is not open, then when song play is initiated my app is flipping back out to Spotify to re-authorize (and in fact if music is playing in Resonate and the Spotify app is closed, then the music stops playing).  The re-authorization that I describe works but it makes no sense because no other apps that I have seen using Spotify connections seem to do this.  Once a user connects their Spotify in the app, then to me frequent re-authorization should not be necessary.

Any relevant information would be most appreciated.

7 Replies

Hey, @resonateapp!  Your description of the iOS SDK sounds right. It works like a remote control when the user has the Spotify app installed on the same device. 

It's also true that an app that has implemented the iOS SDK needs to perform an 'app switch' when it wants to resume playback after a user has paused audio. This doc on the app lifecycle may be helpful for you: https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/ios/guides/application-lifecycle/

Hi @spotifyjosh, thanks for your reply!  But your reply is only giving me partial answers with some of my most important questions left unanswered.

Regarding current iOS SDK and "remote-control", how are many, many other apps (Vertigo Music, SoundShare, SoundHound, Shazam, etc) not using this "remote-control" environment?  In these apps, when a user connect their Spotify account, what's playing in the app is separate and independent from what's playing on Spotify app. 

Regarding "app switch", similar question to question immediately above, how is it that many, many other apps
(Vertigo Music, SoundShare, SoundHound, Shazam, etc) do not require this constant "re-authorization" check?  With these apps, once a user connects their Spotify account, there are not continual "app switch" requests.

Is the answer to these questions because these other apps are still using an older version of your iOS SDK (where these limitations were not in effect)?  If using the previous iOS SDK is not the answer, then what is the answer?

Thank you

Any updates on this? I have many of the same questions/issues with my development.

try Web API.

Hi, it's true that we used to offer another iOS SDK with a very different interface, @Rzn8. I couldn't tell you how the apps that you mention are developed.

Hi @spotifyjosh

Is this iOS SDK with a very different interface still available for use?

I see things online about old iOS SDK being deprecated but if that's the case why is it still working for others?

Any ideas on how can I learn if the apps I mention (or others) are using your old iOS SDK?

Thanks!

Hello, has your appeal been answered? What was the final solution? Thank you very much!

Suggested posts