Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web API 502 error on /me/player/play for a short period after track end

Web API 502 error on /me/player/play for a short period after track end

I am currently building a web application that uses the spotify web API and the web playback SDK. Part of this application is a frontend-side playlist (not spotify playlists). For this I react on 'player_state_changed' events to play the next track in my playlist when the current track ends.

However, when I do this, I always get 502 errors, with no further information (
error Object { status: 502, message: "Bad gateway." })

If I manually execute the exact same call a few seconds later, or include a sleep in my code, the call works. If I check the device status directly before the call, I cannot detect any restrictions.

The API seems to be unable to answer calls for a short moment when a track has ended.

3 Replies

Dealing with the same problem, there is a way to detect a "ready for request" player?

It has increasingly been an issue, even for my home-grown app with a reasonable amount of API calls. I even implemented a retry feature that only shows a user anything after X attempts, but it still pops up. At one point, the playlist endpoint was entirely unresponsive. I didn’t notice if this coincided with a track ending, but it’s something I’ll keep in mind. 

I do hope they fix these intermittent issues, as it’s a bummer to spend all that time designing a player around the API and then it turns flaky. 

I was able to workaround this issue by adding a small delay before calling the /me/player/play endpoint. I'm using React so when I determine that a song has ended with the player_state_changed object I set a boolean that will trigger a setInterval to run with a 500ms delay and its callback is my function that will send the request to Spotify Web API.

Suggested posts