Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web API: Premium Account requests not well documented

Solved!

Web API: Premium Account requests not well documented

My Question or Issue

Is there any listing/documentation for which API endpoints/requests require a Premium Account to use? If not, can the documentation be updated to accurately reflect the nature of each of these endpoints/requests.

In a similar post from about a year ago, the response stated that information regarding the endpoints that require a Premium subscription plan could be found under the corresponding listings in the Web API reference documentation. I am not exactly sure how accurate this response is anymore, because the "Start/Resume Playback" request documentation does not provide information about the Premium requirement (as mentioned in their example).

In the authentication scopes documentation, the only listed scope that requires premium is "streaming".

How I've come to this observation

When I was using the Playback API, I received the following error when making the "Set Playback Volume" request for a free account:

"error": {
        "status"403,
        "message""Player command failed: Premium required",
        "reason""PREMIUM_REQUIRED"
}
In the web api documentation for this request, there is no clear indication that a premium account is required. I only found out through external research that this request has required premium in the past.
Note: I have been able to make requests to other endpoints (devices, "Get Recently Played Tracks", ...)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for the feedback, @leery_orange. The premium-only APIs are generally playback control APIs — like the volume control endpoint you mentioned — and the Web Playback SDK. We'll look at documenting this more clearly.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Thanks for the feedback, @leery_orange. The premium-only APIs are generally playback control APIs — like the volume control endpoint you mentioned — and the Web Playback SDK. We'll look at documenting this more clearly.

Suggested posts