Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Playback SDK: Resume not working on Safari (Mobile and Desktop)

Web Playback SDK: Resume not working on Safari (Mobile and Desktop)

I started building a new Spotify player into a client project and noticed a potential bug in how Safari (mobile and desktop) handles resuming tracks.

In order to test this, I created a very simple custom player that processes each aspect (script load, player initialization, player connect, player activation, etc) of the Spotify Web Playback SDK one at a time (to see if something was tripping it up early in the process.) Everything seems to load fine and I'm able to transfer context and play a new track using `/player/play` no problem. I'm also able to pause the track both locally via the player SDK and remotely via the Spotify Connect API. However, when I try to resume the track on Safari (both locally and remote) it does not play.

Here's a screen recording of the issue:

https://vimeo.com/828189220

The left browser is Chrome, the right is Safari. Everything works fine on Chrome. I'm able to play, pause, and resume. On Safari, I'm able to play and pause but not resume. You'll notice me clicking the "Start playback" button to hit the /player/play API again but once I pause, I cannot resume where I left off. The same issue persists on iOS Safari. iOS Chrome works fine.

Am I crazy? Anybody else witnessing this?

5 Replies

Does this solution answer your question?

I followed that posts advice on when I initialize the player (when developing this test) but this is a different issue connected to resuming tracks on Safari. This issue also exists on previous "working" builds I had developed.

Best is you send “device_id” alway white request for Player API request. 

Without spotify will not start playback eg the instance had longer a playback or was not active. This happened also if you open Spotify application and not press play before.

the device_id you can get to different kind of request. 

I'm seeing the same thing. The Spotify WebSDK has regressed and previously working builds are failing. The player is not resuming on Safari for desktop and is not working at all anymore on Safari for mobile.

think this issue has now been resolved. I can once again successfully resume on Safari desktop and mobile.

Suggested posts