Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

A hacker has accessed my Spotify verification code

A hacker has accessed my Spotify verification code

Dear Spotify Community,

Hi there, I'm new here so please be patient with me!

Back in 2016, I made an online purchase that I do not remember in detail.

But it was connected to my bank account that is now closed. This purchase was for Spotify.

My old bank sent me the following SMS back in 2016. My bank account was closed back in 2018. Here is the SMS (it is legit):

"Your password to spend $9.99 on 22/3 from your Spotify office with your card: (an 8 digits/letters code). Please do not share with anyone."

Now is this a one-time code? How useful would it be to someone who does not know my credit card info.?
Three such texts (S.M.S) were sent to me with 3 different codes.
These purchases were back in 2016.

Here is the issue: a hacker has recently accessed my phone, and I fear that he could use these codes. I do not remember whether or not these codes were one-time codes that would expire,
and whether or not they are sufficient by themselves for hacker to use.
(my credit card number wasn't identified in any S.M.S's and the code alone is disclosed in each S.M.S)

Now I am curious as to whether the hacker could use these codes for his own benefit in any way.
I do not remember the nature of the codes, but the way I quoted the S.M.S is the identical format in which they were sent to me from the bank. (I have moved countries since then).

So the question would be: regarding online payment for Spotify., is that code alone sufficient, or is knowledge of the credit card number, etc. also needed?
Is it also a one-time code?

thanks sincerely

6 Replies

Hey there @A_dragon1997!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out. We're sorry to hear this is happening to you and we'll gladly explain some more about this.

It sounds like you have activated an additional security protocol on your card that requires you to receive and fill in a code before you make a purchase.

This is a part of your bank's security measures and it's not send directly by Spotify. We'd recommend reaching out to your bank for more info on the codes.

Usually they are a one time confirmation for a certain purchase and can only be used for verification. 

It's always better to be on the safer side when it comes to finances so if you have any doubts, your bank should be able to help.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Take care 🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you, I truly appreciate your answer. The problem is, I had a head injury and do not remember every single detail that I had back then. But can you please show me where on the Spotify payment page there is such an option: to type an 8-digit code sent by my bank through SMS? The SMS format reads exactly like this: 

"Your password to spend X USD on 22/3 from your spotify office with your card: (an 8 digits/letters code). Please do not share with anyone." -- and is this sufficient for making a purchase, or is extra info. required to buy stuff from Spotify? What payment method could this have been? Thank you very much again.

Thanks for checking back with us @A_dragon1997!

To start a Spotify subscription you need to choose a payment method and then enter in your details.

If you chose to pay to pay with a card, you'll need to enter the card's digits and if you have another layer of security, you'll be taken to a non-Spotify page to enter the code you've received.

Security codes are not issued by Spotify, but by the bank handling your card. Usually the code alone cannot be used to start a subscription.

We're understand that this is a difficult situation and we'd love to be of more help, but the code that you're referring to is not a part of our safety procedures and we can't provide a lot of info about it.

If you reach out to your bank, they should be able to give you a detailed explanation and help you further with securing your payment tools.

We hope this helps, if you have any other issues, you know where to find us!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you. Is it possible for the hacker, without credit card info, for someone to transfer this money from Spotify to another service, to something else, given that the SMS says: "Your password to spend C USD on 22/3 from your spotify office with your card: (an 8 digits/letters code). Please do not share with anyone."? - I have since then messaged the bank, but no reply. 

Please let me know your thoughts, if it possible for the hacker, without credit card info, for someone to transfer this money from Spotify to another service, to something else, given that the SMS says: "Your password to spend C USD on 22/3 from your spotify office with your card: (an 8 digits/letters code). Please do not share with anyone."? - I have since then messaged the bank, but no reply.

The bank isnt replying. IDK where to ask for information

Suggested posts