Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Charged for a dormant student account we believed to be inactive.

Charged for a dormant student account we believed to be inactive.

We've had premium family for at least 7 years now. 

My son, when he was in university, activated a premium for student account. He finished university around 6-7 years ago and believes that he deactivated that account. When we signed up to premium-family, he joined the family account. 

Upon checking my paypal, I saw a charge for an account I didnt recognise. Turns out it was for that student account that he thought to be deactivated. Essentially, i've been charged around $1000 for an account that hasn't been logged into for at least 7 years, all whilst paying for a premium family membership throughout that time. He believes this was deactivated as well. 

Does anybody have any tips on how to recoup at least some of the money? I contacted spotify via email who offered 3 months worth of fees (i.e. $36). 

Additionally, does spotify continue to charge accounts in perpetuity? Considering that was a premium-student account, surely it would have been deactivated when he graduated?

Very frustrated with this situation..

1 Reply

Hey @JG50 ,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

I recommend reaching out to the Customer Support  team where you can ask for a refund. That team can then check if you're eligible.

Also, Premium Stundent only lasts for one year and has to be renewed manually by the account owner shortly before it expires.

When it expires, the subscription is not canceled. Instead, the plan changes to Premium Individual, meaning the account owner should cancel the subscription manually on their account page.

Hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts