Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Horrible Discover Weekly suggested songs in the last months

Horrible Discover Weekly suggested songs in the last months

I am now on my fifth year on Spotify, and I love it. One of the best features it used to offer is the Discover Weekly playlist. It helped me discover tons of new songs and authors.

But all this changed in the past months: unfortunatelly, the proposed Discover Weekly playlists got worst, and worst, over time.

For instance, I have once added to a playlist (where I keep all the songs grabbed from Discover Weekly) ONE Danish song. Since then I get every week at least two songs in Danish or German that I don't like. Clicking on Dislike didn't help. Scandinavians are still here.

I am continuosly flooded with Italian songs from the 60s, most of them terrible, or at least not suitable to my taste.

Another minus: you get the same song played by multiple authors every week.

In a few words, Discover Weekly is now useless, and worst of all you cannot reset your "Taste" as discussed in this thread

What else can I say?

7 Replies

I am having the same issue with Discover Weekly. The suggestions are becoming more dettached from my actual tastes. 

Was the the algorithm changed ?

I have the same problem, I am trying what I can by deleting songs from the list but it keeps on bringing the same boring sleepy songs all the time.

I was absolutely amazed at the start with Discover Weekly but it turned so bad I just stopped using it.

I'm pretty sure that Spotify's recommendation algorithm overfits: the more data it gets, the worse it tends to get.

My Discover Weekly was fine at the beginning and gradually got worse. Not terrible, just underwhelming and not so useful.

I created another account for my car with only a small selection of my albums, and was surprised to get great Discover Weekly playlists on it. I now follow this playlist from my primary account and listen to it every week.

As an experiment, I created another account and had all likes from my primary account (>1500) play for a while. The Discover Weekly playlists were not so good. My car account's recommendations are still the best, even though I'm rarely using that account to play music now.

I think it would definitely help to be able to fully reset Spotify's learning model once in a while as suggested, but also be able to give it an initial seed playlist instead of having to play all songs explicitly.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

This can occur if you use Autoplay.

This can also happen if you lend your account to someone or leave it open on gatherings etc..

You can also try with a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello Jeremy, I think that @dragice hit the spot, describing exactly what's happening.

BTW, I am not sharing my account with anyone, but the more you add liked sons, the worst the discover weekly gets.

This is very frustrating.

Moreover, I have noticed that Spotify is completely ignoring my album collection, why is that? While release radar seems to be more consistent, Discover Weekly is now useless.

I keep giving it a try on monday mornings, but it's just a quick skip-forward to the end of the playlist, and that's all. is it worth it?

Recently added songs to playlists or liked songs are NOT affecting the algorithm, why is that?

I am sure that this is turning down a lot of Spoty users

Hi everyone,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

If you find an artist that you don't like and don't want the see their songs in your personalized playlists, you can do the following in the mobile app:

1. Go to the artist's profile and click on the three dots
  2. Tap Don't play this artist

Keep in mind that any changes to your library can take up to a couple of weeks before they're reflected on your personalized playlists, so be sure to give it some time.

Hope this helps.

Take care!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Mario, thank you for offering some tips.

Unfortunately since this discussion was started in 2019 nothing changed much: Spotify keeps suggesting the same songs, although as covers by multiple artists, but the same songs..... no more good suggestions (which helped initially to build a playlists with 215 lovely songs).

Suggested posts