NEXT STEP

Removing Tracks from History/Algorithms

Solved!

Removing Tracks from History/Algorithms

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

My wife (despite having her own spotify account) has been listening to thunderstorm tracks under my account for the past month.  These tracks are 2-3 minutes long.  And she ran them all night on repeat for several nights until I figured out what was going on.  80% of my "music" listened to is now nature sounds and thunderstorms.  

I realize that we are currently voting on the ability to delete items from our recently played.  People have been kicking around this idea since 2019 it seems.  This is a paid service for me.  The idea that a need like this is so incredibly obvious I find that in borders on insulting that you think this is an option that needs to be voted on first. Come on seriously.  What is the true reason this doesn't exist already?

Is it possible to at least designate tracks or songs that you do not want to be applied to your Top Tracks for 20XX?  Or my years in review? Or any of my listening algorithms?  

27 Replies

This isn't a matter of can't, but won't.

My husband was in the hospital over 4th of July weekend. It's a poor time to need to leave the dogs alone because my neighborhood is pretty enthusiastic about their fireworks. I spent as much time as I reasonably could with my dogs but I also needed to focus on my husband so I played dog-friendly videos and music on YouTube to hopefully muffle the sound of any fireworks or fire crackers when I couldn't be at home. Afterward, I got pretty tired of suggestions of farm animals grazing in fields while peaceful music played in the background so I went into my history and deleted every single video and.... the suggestions stopped immediately.

Pan over to my husband: The hospital was an incredibly stressful environment so my husband listened to spa music on Spotify to help him relax. This is not something he would ever listen to on his own out in the world. He was in the hospital for 10 days. It never occurred to either of us that Spotify would have no mechanism to wipe that music from his algorithm so now he gets spa music suggested to him and included in his playlists. So much FUN to be rocking out to songs you really enjoy and then... spa music. We use Spotify Premium. We PAY for this service. Now I have to ask myself why.

This admin explanation of "awe shucks guys. too bad so sad, we just can't do that. and by the way, it's really your fault that you're getting these bad suggestions because you assumed we would have this common-sense feature and didn't think to use a private session" is dismissive and insulting. It's total bull and you know it.

"Funny Fart" has sat there in my "Good morning" suggestion every day for the past few months, my son and a friend figured out they could make the google speaker play fart tracks one morning. They literally did it once. Now I'm cursed with fart track suggestions for an eternity... thanks Spotify, super clever algorithm you've got there 😂

 not good enough. we need this to change, we shouldn’t have to vote. my attached should speak for itself.

IMG_7867.png

They most definitely are not recommendations from what you listened to, pull your **bleep**ing heads out of your ass. I paid for your service, i removed my card have fun canceling my membership. There’s no reason I can completely and utterly block an artist so I can never ever see it ever again, but you’re too lazy to do that. You want to cause anger, well have fun canceling my membership **bleep**.

Good this ad blocker is like $5 and YouTube is free!

I'm actually quitting my paid account because of this. 

I have to add my 2 cents. My wife asked "hey Google" to play Church hymns while we were in our car, with her Spotify account configured on Android Auto, and my mobile also reacted, and started playing hymns on my account as well. My mobile volume was quite low, and totally covered by the car speakers and traffic noises, and I only found out when I parked... and now I have a good deal of Church hymns in my algorithm. Nothing against that, but it's not the kind of music I listen to, and I'd like to clear those off my playing history. 

Not one person has "Liked" this Solution.

Please listen to your paying customers!

Suggested posts