Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't select songs. Can only shuffle play. Please help

Solved!

Can't select songs. Can only shuffle play. Please help

Hi. I'm a relatively new user and I have just downloaded thee spotify app on my iPhone. A few of my friends are regular users and they are able to search for and play specific songs. However when I try to do the same I can only shuffle play the album or playlist that the song is in. It's very frustrating. If anyone could shed some light on the situation I would be very grateful.
Regards
Ryan.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there, 

One of the differences between Premium and Free is the ability to play all your music without Shuffle. As a Free user, most of the playlists you see can only be played in Shuffle mode. This does not apply for Spotify on desktop.

Spotify provides Free users with some Pick and Play Playlists which can be played on-demand, without Shuffle:

• These playlists can be found under Home > Made For You/Recommended For You.
  • Pick and Play playlists will include some of the most popular curated playlists on Spotify, such RapCaviar, as well as personalized playlists like Daily Mix. You cannot choose which playlists are Pick and Play, but Spotify will include a few editorial playlists that align with your taste.

For more info about the Free service, check out this help article.

Keep in mind that if you're subscribing to Premium but can only Shuffle play your playlists, it means that your subscription has either been canceled or you own another account which is on Premium. We suggest that you check out your receipts page for the former case, and this help article on finding other accounts for the latter. 

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

54 Replies

You can not disable the Shuffle mode on Spotify free on mobile devices - on demand playback is a Premium feature. Are they also using phones? This restriction does not apply on tablet devices (7 inches +).

Full details of the subscription tiers are here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Subscription-Comparison-Chart/td-p/666916

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Same exact thing is happening to me. When I first got spotify not so long ago I couldn't play the song I wanted to select. The next day I was able to choose the songs I want and that was last week. I tried listening to a song today and it wouldn't let me select it. I don't knje what's going on with spoify but is very frustrating

Hi There

The reason for that is you will have enabled your one week trial of premium, which means that you can select any song you like, any time, on demand. However, now that your trial has expired, you can not select any song you like, and only shuffle play. If you upgrade to premium service, you will be able to select any song. Also, on the desktop and tablet verstion (7"+ in screen size) even on free you are able to select any song on demand

Hope this helps

- Qubesta 

- Qubesta

Hi there. I am enjoying my free premium trial but cant seem to play analbum through from start to finish? Can pick the first song but after that its all back to shuffle?

@Camofy 

Try logging out of the app and then log back in. It seems like it didn't activate yet.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Camofy 

Also, open up the now playing screen and make sure shuffle is not turned on.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thank you so much! I can't believe that I didn't think of something so simple; you, sir, are a life-saver.

You're welcome 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks man. Just worked that out earlier this week. Duh. Cheers though

Ok -- that works, so it's better than nothing.

But I work in software.  That's what's called a workaround.  It 'works around' a broken feature.  Having to begin every play in shuffle mode and then navigate to disable shuffle is ridiculous.  Ok, maybe not ridiculous -- just broken.

Hey there, but I had an iPad for approximately 2 years and had spotify on it, but never had or paid for premium, always had a free account, and I was able to select and play music on demand and it would only tell me that I needed premium to listen to music offline. Which was fair enough, but now I have an android phone and I'm still a free user as I've always been, but now I can't select which song I wanna listen to on demand as I could on my iPad. I could only shuffle play and wait until it gets to the song I wanna listen to without using all my skips. So, I'm having the same problem and I don't think you have to be a premium user as I have never been one and was still able to select songs on demand.

@Cy83rDr4g0n 

Spotify Free works differently on tablets than on mobile phones.

For the iPad, yes you can select songs on demand.

On mobile, you cannot select songs on demand. You have to use the shuffle mode. This is because of the agreements with the record labels and such.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I'm having the same problem

Yea, I'm pretty mad considering I've only had free service, and I always could select songs, make playlists and favorite songs, I would still get the ads in between songs, and couldn't download anything, but since today, I can only play on shuffle when that was never a restriction. So now they're taking even MORE away from us and making it presumably. This is ridiculous. I've never had to do shuffle only and I've had this spotify for over a year.

I'm on a kindle and can't select at will. Or do anything but shuffle. This is b.s..

I never figured out how to just play -- but once it starts to play -- in shuffle mode -- you can go to the 'play' screen -- or whatever they call it -- and disable shuffle mode.

YMMV !

im on tablet and im a free user  and i never had to shuffle to lisen to songs then just to day is changed and now i cant pick my song help (on kindle fire)

I'm a Spotify Premium user. I only signed up for Premium as I'm making the switch from Rdio (RIP) and want to give some solid test runs.

Very frustrated that it seems my only option on my iPhone is "Shuffle Play". I literallly have to play, select the song, and manually turn off shuffle. EVERY TIME.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue (I'm not generally a playlist guy) but this is a big red flag for me...

I've logged out and back in, the problem persists. Anyone? How do I make this a PLAY button...?

@Ryandedom wrote:
Hi. I'm a relatively new user and I have just downloaded thee spotify app on my iPhone. A few of my friends are regular users and they are able to search for and play specific songs. However when I try to do the same I can only shuffle play the album or playlist that the song is in. It's very frustrating. If anyone could shed some light on the situation I would be very grateful.
Regards
Ryan.

Not so... I'm a Spotify Premium user and am also plagued by the "Shuffle Play" only option on my iPhone.

I literallly have to play, select the song, and manually turn off shuffle. EVERY TIME. Very frustrating...

@Qubesta wrote:

Hi There

The reason for that is you will have enabled your one week trial of premium, which means that you can select any song you like, any time, on demand. However, now that your trial has expired, you can not select any song you like, and only shuffle play. If you upgrade to premium service, you will be able to select any song. Also, on the desktop and tablet verstion (7"+ in screen size) even on free you are able to select any song on demand

Hope this helps

- Qubesta 

Suggested posts