Shuffle play is not random

327 people liked this

Shuffle play is not random

ws1482
Roadie

Shuffle play was bad before the update and now its worse. On my 442 song playlist, the same 30 or 35 tracks play over and over again and the other 400 songs I have barely heard once. I have had to delete songs because shuffle play was choosing them everytime I would listen. Spotify developers say shuffle play is random but how is repeating the same 35 songs over and over random. For some reason there is a higher probability of certain songs playing than others. This is a major flaw in the system. The shuffle play programs needs to be totally overhauled, it is awful

499 Replies

Re: Shuffle play is not random

Joe
Community Legend

By sheer coincidence, Meredith posted an update on shuffle today.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Announcements/Your-Ideas-At-Work-Shuffle-Improvements/td-p/7...

13 people liked this

ws1482
Roadie

Yes I have read about these improvements to shuffle play in the past. The problem is I just used shuffle play in the last 24 hours and it is still awful

3 people liked this

Peter__
Community Legend
Not sure if this shuffle update is in the mobile apps or not yet!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

1 person liked this

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

Yeah, pretty sure they're not yet.

dinomightRock Star 9
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ws1482
Roadie

oh ok thanks

41 people liked this

elmerb
Music Fan
I have had this problem since the beginning of using spotify. Of my favourates list of about 250+ songs, about 200 are never played in random shuffle mode. Forced switching to an ignored song only helps at that instant, but after that spotify continues to play one of the 50 songs that are all involved, ignoring the remaining 200 again.
I find this very troublesome, it should be fixed. How many more users have this problem??
1 person liked this

elmerb
Music Fan
I agree with Garage Band. Random shuffle play is still awful....
I also use update 1.1.0 or anyway the latest version.
13 people liked this

kinglocke

yes, same here. please get a new algorithm for it as soon as possible.

35 people liked this

moisaras
Music Fan

It seems that whenever I shuffle a playlist, the shuffler's logic tends to pick some specific songs, and they always come up for play as a 'priority' compared to other songs.

(this differs from the complaint that some people have, that they get the same songs twice on a single 'shuffle my playlist' run. As long as I don't press 'shuffle' again, I won't hear the same song. But the shuffle logic will always choose a few specific songs and throw them in my face very early in the shuffle run, which is very annoying).

It's almost unbelievable to me that such a simple process is broken.

The only remaining explanation I can give is that Spotify deliberately chooses the songs that are cheaper for them to pay royalties on.

Whatever the reason is, I hope Spotify cleans up its act.. millions of customers paying for a broken product that would take me 2 afternoons to fix, and I am an accountant whose greatest programming achievement was inputting cheat codes on my super nintendo - a, down, b, down, down, y a.

SUGGESTED POSTS