Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app reverts video podcast when losing focus.

Spotify app reverts video podcast when losing focus.

Operating System

(iOS 15.3.1, Spotify app 8.7.20.1724)

My Question or Issue

Watching\listening to any video podcast then when you switch to another app and then back again Spotify app will revert the timeline spot back to when you started watching\listening.

39 Replies

Happening to me aswell needs fixed asap so annoying

Hey there dear people,

Thanks for sharing all this info with us!

This is currently being investigated, we'll keep you posted as soon as anything new comes up.

Keep the app up to date in the meantime 🙂

Cheers!

@humbled @Lleen711
@Whocaresaboutthis
@Nephilimi

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

• Same, I listen to a few different podcasts but this issue only happens when listening to the Joe Rogan Experience.  And to take that one step further, it’s only happened during episodes containing large scale controversial content. The latest being episode #1784 with Diana Rogers and Robb Wolf which largely discusses veganism and how meat is crucial to a persons well being. But episode #1788 with Mr. Beast, a YouTube sensation, played flawlessly with multiple stoppages and interruptions and never lost placement or skipped back to some previous marker. Weird

This keeps happening to me as well it’s so freaking frustrating I’m about to just uninstall the app for good. I bet if enough people did they would fix the problem. It makes the app un useable. 

Spotify, could you please update us on whether this issue is being looked at, and when it will be fixed?  The playhead will get saved if you switch to another podcast or uninstall the app.  However, if you change app focus and then return to the app, then the playhead is reset to whatever the previously saved playhead position was when changing podcasts (or uninstalling the app).  It should be straightforward to save the playhead in the various UIApplicationDelegate methods that are called when the app is backgrounded.

As a workaround, I've switched to Apple Podcasts app for listening to podcasts.  Apple Podcasts doesn't have video or an in-app sleep timer, but since it maintains the playhead properly, it will do for now. 

I have the same problem in the Rogan podcast. Spotify why have you not updated this thread by now?

Please Spotify, for the love of god fix this or I’m switching to Apple Music. 

Open app and watch my timeline jump right back to the beginning of the episode 😢 this happens 99% of the time. It’s not always to the very beginning but it will get stuck on a particular time and go back to it every time I open the app. This happens while it’s playing or like you’ll see in the video, even if it isn’t playing.

iPhone 12, 15.3.1

Spotify 8.7.21

This following example happens to me consistently.  I will be listening to Joe Rogans podcast with my iPhone locked. If I go to unlock and look at my phone and Spotify was the last open app with the video playing, the podcast reverts back to a random point and plays fluidly as if nothing happened. This seems to occur when I disconnect from my home WiFi as well.  I also have had occurrences where the podcast just starts from the beginning if I toggle between apps.

I see there was an update pushed out, 8.7.21.1728. For me so far the issue seems to be resolved.

Sleeptimer you can use from the phone. Same as where your alarmclock is. Works perfect with apple podcast. 

I have the same problem on my iPhone but not on my Android. It only happens when listening to Joe Rogan, however it's the only podacast I use Spotify for. I did try some other ones and didn't have that problem there and it's also not a problem when listening to music.

It skips back to where I was, or to the beggining when switching back from another application or when unlocking the phone. I'm running version: 15.3.1 on a 13 pro.

Iphone rogan podcasts. Watch the video then leave spotify/or turn off my phone and then go back to video and the video starts from the beginning not where I was listening

Hi there @Whocaresaboutthis,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're super glad to see that everything works as it should for you 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We're receiving reports (mostly from iOS users) that switching between apps still causes podcasts to restart from the beginning. The issue appears to be happening on video podcasts (The Joe Rogan Experience, Lex Fridman Podcast) but it can be present on other podcasts too. 

This should be fixed as of the new update that has just been released to iOS users. 
Manually update the app from the App Store and let us know if the issue persists afterwards.
Keep in mind that if the new version isn't available for everyone yet, it should be available soon!

Thanks & cheers!

VasilModerator

Hey there, I'm having similar issues. A few things:

1. The experience of providing technical feedback on your app is really bad. There's no help/feedback button and all support options direct to customer service bots when what I I want is for engineers to be able to identify bugs in the app.

2. It would be nice of there was an email address we could respond to so that we don't have to post videos on a public forum. Also, the max file size for attachments is 5 MB which is way  too small for video.

3. On my iPhone device I started playing the all in podcast. I then paused it at min 17 and fast forwarded to min 34 and paused again. I briefly swiped to look at another app and then swiped back to Spotify. Upon returning to Spotify, the podcast had been reset back to the 17 minute mark. This happens every time I repeat the above steps.  IPhone 13 pro running ios 15.0.2 and Spotify 8.7.20.1724

I’m having the issue as well. I updated Spotify app and issue continued. 

iPhone xr 

iOS 15.3.1

wifi or cellular 

spotify 8.7.21

Hey @adasdfasdfasdfa,

Thanks for the feedback. Videos cannot be uploaded here but you can always share an external link, for example a Google Drive one.
And @Halifax881, do the podcasts revert to their beginning or to their previously paused states like adasdfasdfasdfa describes?

We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Much appreciated!

VasilModerator

Same here

I read that you need to log out, log back in, log out AGAIN, then log back in. This resets the Spotify cache. Seemed to work for me. 

Suggested posts