Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is extremely slow to sync offline playlists on iOS

Solved!

Spotify is extremely slow to sync offline playlists on iOS

Hi,
I'm running the latest Spotify for iOS 5.0.1 version + did a complete restore on 2 iPhones 4S yesterday. I have the same problem on both my iPhones: Spotify is unbearably slow to sync offline playlists.
I have 1200 songs that I want to sync for offline listening. The mobile Spotify app is extremely slow to sync songs and usually stops after 20-25 songs. This has been happening for weeks if not months.
I have a blazing fast cable connection: 100Mb download speed + backup 8Mb download DSL. I've tried on these 2 connections + a 20Mb DSL connection at work and I have the same issue. Wifi signal is 5/5 on both iPhones and bandwidth tests are good.
Friends of mine living where I live (Strasbourg, France) don't seem to have the same problem. I can only think that it might be related to my account.
In addition, I've had to re-download all my playlists something like every 2 weeks for the last 4 or 5 month. I'm only using Spotify for offline listening on 2 devices so it has nothing to do with the 3 device limit.
I usually turn offline mode off every 5 days to make sure my offline playlists will stay on my 2 iPhones but I still have to re-download everything very frequently.
Spotify has become unbearably painful to use because of all this...
Please help!
Thank you,
Fred
226 Replies

Does anyone know if a complete phone wipe and setting up as a new iPhone works? I mean total restore from scratch using iTunes and no restore of settings, apps, or content. Literally a factory condition iPhone. 

@redcarpet26 I wouldn't bother. I'm having trouble on my brand new iPhone 5 that was set up as a new phone (not from backup). 

I'm giving Spotify one more week to sort this out or else I'm gone. It's taking over 30 mins to sync one song -- completely unacceptable.

Agreed. I can't afford to keep hitting my data caps to listen to the same playlist I listen to every day. Like I said, this is a critical feature in a day and age of dropped connections and data caps. 

Guys and gals I had same very frustrating problem with syncing playlists on iPhone 5.  I've just found something that works though which is start download using wifi let it stall the download as normal. Switch off wifi (make sure youre in a 3G area) the playlist should start downloading via mobile network. Leave it to download a song or two then swicth the wifi back on. The playlists should continue to download , they do on mine anyways 

Does everyone with this issue happen to be using a AT&T or Sprint iPhone 5?

Nope. I'm with Optus in Australia. Our iPhones are the same as the EU and Asia iPhone 5s. 

Telstra (Australia) here. Thing is, syncing works on 3G/LTE. It seems to be a WiFi issue.

I love the way this is one of the most popular threads yet no rep has made the effort to comment.

exact same issue here

iphone 5, telstra.

seriously considering ditching spotify for rdio.

I'm using Verizon with an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5.

I found that the 2G/3G button in settings needs to be on for music to download on my iPhone 5 via data.  It does not download while my iPhone is in LTE UNLESS the 2G/3G button is switched to on.  So it seems to me that it can not download any faster than this, thus making it an issue with Spotify.

@jamiethomas88 wrote:

Telstra (Australia) here. Thing is, syncing works on 3G/LTE. It seems to be a WiFi issue.

I love the way this is one of the most popular threads yet no rep has made the effort to comment.

David did actually. It's a known issue and we're looking at different ways to resolve this. Stay tuned.

Community Ergo Sum

I just started using Spotify on my iPhone 5 and I'm loving it so far but I'm seeing this issue already. Over wifi syncing is extremely slow. I'm also seeing rapid battery drain while listening to synced music (not to bad while streaming). Strange things are a foot with this IOS app. I have some time left on my free trial so lets hope this gets sorted out soon.  

First post Feb'12

Last Post Dec'12

10 months later still the same issue.

Spotify, I'm speechless; I don't know what to say (I'm being polite)! If this is what you call "Premium" service I don't even want to think about your normal service!

I am trialing MOG to see how it works.

this is driving me crazy...after reading through this thread I'm still not clear on whether this is a Spotify App issue or an iOS6 issue or a freekin' wifi issue...Pretty sure it's not wifi though because I'm having the issue on different networks.

It's not an iOS6 issue. I have iOS6 on my iPhone 4 and it loads just fine. It's definitely an issue with Spotify. It needs to resolve the LTE issue, which iPhone 5 is

So I have somewhat good news.  The good news is my sync is working again - the bad news is be long, destructive process it took to get there.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade to iOS 6 yesterday for other reasons besides my spotify issues.  Unfortunately the inital upgrade did not go well and I ended up having to do a complete restore - which also caused me to have to do a  new install of everything (fun times - not!).

After the iOS restore and new install I can now sync on WiFi again.  Needless to say I would not recommend this action to others especially if you have a lot of applications or other data on your device (other than music I really have nothing downloaded to my ipad - really).  But if you are really desperate you might try the complete removal and re-install if you are on iOS6. (or upgrade to iOS 6 and then reinstall).

hoping Spotify has an answer that solves everyone's problem soon!

🙂 Mg

Do you mean restore from itunes and remove all settings, apps, media and set up as new iphone? Or is restoring your iCloud or Itunes Backup OK?

Because the former would be a pain in the a.

I agree, I think it's an LTE issue, because songs seem to sync just fine if I have Wifi turned off and im on an LTE network (eats my data plan like candy though). For some reason it gets confused when I'm on a Wifi network.

the full setup as a new Ipad and yes it was a pain in the aaaaa......

but it's working for now (sigh)..

hopeing for a better solution for everyone else,

Mg

@redcarpet26 wrote:

I agree, I think it's an LTE issue, because songs seem to sync just fine if I have Wifi turned off and im on an LTE network (eats my data plan like candy though). For some reason it gets confused when I'm on a Wifi network.

Can't be an LTE issue. I have the same issues on my wifi only iPad 3. My guess it's just Spotify and iOS6. I have a full pre paid year and haven't been able to use it since the iOS6 launch. If they can't fix it I'm expecting a refund.

its not a iphone 5 or ios 6 issue i reckon. Im syncing songs with Rdio to my iphone 5 over wifi (20Mbit) and it syncs pretty quickly per track. About 4 seconds to download each one. 🙂

on the same phone same connection with spotify app it takes forever!!!!

Suggested posts