Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the oldest ipod touch that can use spotify?

What is the oldest ipod touch that can use spotify?

So currently I have a new phone but I dont want to clog up its empty space by making offline playlists on spotify and I want to stop using data to listen to songs on the way home. The one solution I came up with was to get an old ipod touch with 8-16 gb to be used just for music... my concern however is I luckily realized that spotify cannot be installed on a 1st gen ipod touch before I purchased one. I am uncertain if the 2nd generation would work, and furthermore will the 2nd gen just suffer the same fate as 1st gen when spotify updates and the 2nd gen wont meet requirements?

What would be the cheapest, most reliable device with 8-16 gb space to run spotify on?

10 Replies

Hey! The newest up-to-date version requires iOS 7, however you can still download the old version from the App Store. The iPod Touch 2nd generation still can download an old version for iOS 4.2.1 however it won't be updated. I just tested it on my old iPod 2nd generation on iOS 4.2.1 and it is possible to download the Spotify app and save music offline. But I highly recommend using a newer device since the old app isn't really stable anymore. Good luck! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

how to sync the spotify library on the old device? i don't have premium, so it is the only way to use...

Hey @user-removed!

Without Premium you can't save music offline. Some old versions don't support Spotify Free to login. What device, iOS and Spotify version are you using?

Have a nice weekend! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star

thanks for answering.

i'm using an iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.2.1

of course the spotify version is, but i'm not shure:

0.4.24.65.gaef36bd1

Hey there!

Unfortunately, that version doesn't support Spotify Free. Spotify is supported on

iPhone 4S or above, iPad 2 or above, and 5th generation iPod Touch or above and with iOS 8 or above, with at least 100 MB free space. 

You might still be able to run Spotify Premium on there, but I don't recommend that, since the old app might not be very stable.

Have a nice weekend! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star

thank you 😉

hi, how can i get an older Spotify version? i can't get to install it cause now the app demands an iOS 8 or higher and i still have the 2nd gen iPod touch ...could you provide me a link or something? it would be very helpful

thanks a lot.

Hey @blancas!

I'm sorry about this, but Spotify isn't supported on iPod Touch 2nd Generation anymore. You can view the system requirements on this page. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star

Hello! Sorry to ask this question again, but does that means the Spotify Premium app that you used to recommend is no longer available as an option for iPod Touch 2nd Gen? Thanks.

I am wondering this too, as I just bought a 2G iPod touch (8gb) on eBay, out of preference on simplicity... And I hope to use my premium account too!

Suggested posts