Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Solved!

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Update: iOS update 0.5.9 has fixed the stability issues. Please update now and test it out.

The new iOS 0.5.8 update has killed the iPad app. Even after reinstall it constantly crashes. What's going on?

I'm running iOS 6.0.1 on the 4th generation iPad. 

Spotify can't seem to get their act together...

New update also kills the people tab on the iPad.

When clicking on the people tab, friends are shown for a few seconds and then the list disappears.

This happens on every re-launch. There is no way to get the people list to show for more than 3 seconds.

Also after clicking on settings and clicking on a settings menu on the iPad, the settings back arrow is cut off at the top.

My music experience has been ruined by these bugs.

UPDATE: 

I was able to use the app for a while -- notice the other bugs I found --  and after downloading playlists for offline use, the app started crashing.

Looks like downloading any playlist for offline use will constantly crash the app until you reinstall the app.

The most used feature on the iPad app constantly crashes the app?

What...? Updates need more testing before going live.

I would be happy to help test future updates.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
236 Replies

Like Mattjsrules, 0.5.9 update is out now and should fix many crashes, such as when pressing playlists it crashed for some users, some when scrolling to the bottom of their playlists etc.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread to see if there's still anyone experiencing issues with the 0.5.9 update.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback, it's been very helpful!

Yip fixed it for me. I can get back to bragging about how great spotify is. 

Not that it matters much... the back button in the iPad app is still cut off at the top. This started in 0.5.8.

I'm a details guy so this kinda annoys me, but I can deal with it until it's fixed.

The image doesn't do much justice, but if you were using an iPad version prior to 0.5.8, then you will recognize the difference. 

cut off back button

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi

Just updated to 0.5.9 on Iphone 4S with iOS 6.0.1, and my playlists are still a mess, and do not reflect the playlists in my desktop application.

I have a

playlist

album

playlist

playlist

playlist

playlist

type structure now, whereas before, all playlists were at the root level.

I do not have any playback issues, but trying to delete the playlists to have them re-synced to the desktop application crashes the app.

-axlburk

I just need to keep the iPad app running and it will crash by itself even if not playing music. iPhone app is able to play for a random number of minutes but will crash usually within 5 minutes.

Kenwonders, what phone are you using? I'm 5 (and iPad 3) and they work for me (so far.) Maybe if you're using an older phone that'd be info that can help the staff fix the issue.

I'd suggest using the "Spotify for iOS 4" in the meantime. That's what I did, it worked perfectly. I honestly don't even know what the differences are in between that app and the up-to-date-app, apart from that it uses the 5's bigger screen.

axlburk - check your playlists again now.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I'm using an iPhone 4 (not S) and iPad 3, all on iOS6.0.1

Both are crashing with regularity (to the point of being unusable) but the iPad version is most fragile, crashing within a minute or two of being fired up.

I would rather wait than sync 8gb of offline files again for the iOS4 version.

@axlburk I have the exact same issue on my iPhone 4S (iOS 6.0.1). Just upgraded to Spotify 0.5.9. All my custom playlist folders are now nested inside a master folder (which weirdly enough doesn't even exist in my desktop app, because I deleted it months ago!), which is then again nested inside another folder which also should not even exist. So so weird!

But at least it doesn't crash anymore, when I try to access my playlists.

Below is a picture of the road to the "Venners venners" folder on the desktop and on my iPhone.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Spotify_discrepancy_iOSvsDesktop.jpg

... I think I smell someone at Spotify sweating heavily.

Ok I have cleared up mine by reinstalling the same version. iPad client has not now crashed in 10 minutes of 'attempted breaking'. Worthwhile as a first action if you also have crashing.

Hi, Richard.

Your reset updated my desktop application playlists to reflect my iOS playlists, with deleted folders resurrected and all. After re-arranging them back to normal, my iOS app would crash at every startup until I re-installed the app. It seems stable now.

During the re-arranging of my playlists, I had to create duplicates outside of the resurrected folders and then delete the ones inside the folders, and then at last delete the folders. So I no longer have any offline playlists, and some people will have been unsubscribed from my playlists.

-axlburk.

NOT ABLE TO MOVE IT gave TITLE IN A PLAYLIST

Thanks you Spotify!

the iPad app is working now. 

Hi Richard,

Is it possible to do something for my playlists ?

I had the same problems on my iphone with spotify app 0.5.8 @ios 6.0.1 (i.e. crash while browsing my playlists).

I have upgraded to spotify app 0.5.9.

I have no more crash anymore but playlists on my iphone look strange :

playlist 1

playlist 2

playlist n

folder 1   <- I ddidn't created it !?

playlist n+1

playlist m

folder 2    <- I didn't created it !?

playlist m+1

playlist z

All my playlists should be located at root (no folder).

Thx !

Jean-Charles.

Jean-Charles - given it a go!
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Thx Richard ! It is working now.

Today's newest update of app crashing on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.01

And same crashing (in fact won't even load at all) on 3rd gen iPad running iOS 6.01

Yeah, newly releaseed 05.9...working great...thank you Spotify!!!!

Spoiler

Suggested posts