Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Limit to 'offline' playlists?

Solved!

Limit to 'offline' playlists?

I just spotted something in your FAQ about a limit of 3,333 tracks offlined? Is this true, and if so can you explain why? I realise as you need to re-sync updated tracks for all sorts of reasons, if someone has thousands of tracks offline then they could be re-syncing forever - but I have sort of got into the habit of offlining ever since the problems we had with BT throttling Spotify! It's great having a streaming service for music discovery, but here in the UK our broadband infrastructure is so flaky we can't rely on being able to use your service all the time if we don't offline. I tend to offline anything I 'collect', am I not using Spotify as you expect I should I wonder?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

You can now download up to 10,000 songs on each of up to 5 different devices. You can view and manage all your offline devices here

There's more info about this in this support site article

If you're having troubles with your downloaded content, you can take a look at this support site article instead. 

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

138 Replies

Hello!

Yes, that's true. Allow me to explain - Each person is allowed a limit of 10,000 songs offline, and a maximum of 3 devices with offline playlists. Hence the 3,333 number - that is for each device. So for example, I could have a party playlist at home on my laptop, a workout one on my phone and maybe some classical to focus at work.

Airhorn Enthusiast

I see, so do I get 10,000 in total on my Macbook if I don't use any on my iOS devices?

Will I be able to access these "offline" song files in programs other than Spotify?

Not sure what you mean noSpleen - Spotify playlists are part of the Spotify mobile app and the desktop app - not sure how you could use them outside of Spotify? You need Spotify to play Spotify files?

@timiambeing wrote:
I see, so do I get 10,000 in total on my Macbook if I don't use any on my iOS devices?

Sadly not - It's still limited to 3,333 "per device", which includes the Macbook too. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Ok, I better get used to trusting my broadband connection with SpotiServers then! Maybe just offline the classical albums - its gonna be hard...

Is there any hope of getting this limit increased (or waived) in the future?

@bltkmt wrote:

Is there any hope of getting this limit increased (or waived) in the future?

Very, very, very unlikely.

Have we been given a reason behind the limit?  It would be much better (for me) to have one playlist on my phone with 10k tracks, than 3 separate playlists that aggregate to 10k tracks.

@bltkmt wrote:

Have we been given a reason behind the limit?  It would be much better (for me) to have one playlist on my phone with 10k tracks, than 3 separate playlists that aggregate to 10k tracks.

You can have an umlimited amount of tracks in each playlist - it's just that you can only download 3,333 tracks per 3 devices.

Ok, not trying to be dense here - if I only have one playlist and one device, can it have 10k tracks in it downloaded to my device?

@bltkmt wrote:

Ok, not trying to be dense here - if I only have one playlist and one device, can it have 10k tracks in it downloaded to my device?

No.

Every device is allowed a maximum of 3,333 tracks downloaded to it for offline use - no matter what playlist they are in.

You can have offline tracks on a maximum of 3 devices.

Okay, I understand the song limit ine gereal because of the legal limitations, but why not just allow 10,000 songs to be downloaded in total for the account, regardless of device. This would be a lot better for people, such as myself, who only have one offline device. I would want to have the full 10,000 on my ipod considering that this is the only device I use.

Why is it limited?

@cmurphy97 wrote:

Okay, I understand the song limit ine gereal because of the legal limitations, but why not just allow 10,000 songs to be downloaded in total for the account, regardless of device. This would be a lot better for people, such as myself, who only have one offline device. I would want to have the full 10,000 on my ipod considering that this is the only device I use.

This is exactly what I want - one offline playlist on my iPhone with 10k songs in it.

@bltkmt wrote:

@cmurphy97 wrote:

This is exactly what I want - one offline playlist on my iPhone with 10k songs in it.

Is there any hope of getting this?

Hi. If you haven't already done so, please add your support to this idea.

ok. let's say I have 10 playlists. 2000 songs on the first list, 2000 on the second list, and some hundreds on the next lists, . About offline: I realize the limit is 3,333 songs to be downloaded. How can i choose which 3000 songs??? If I wanted the first list as a whole list, but then only a few from the next, and some from all the next ones....

Or is it downloading just the 3,333 first ones, which ever are "in the line"...?

@zahram wrote:

ok. let's say I have 10 playlists. 2000 songs on the first list, 2000 on the second list, and some hundreds on the next lists, . About offline: I realize the limit is 3,333 songs to be downloaded. How can i choose which 3000 songs??? If I wanted the first list as a whole list, but then only a few from the next, and some from all the next ones....

Or is it downloading just the 3,333 first ones, which ever are "in the line"...?

It will just download whatever is in line up until you hit the limit. 

So if you marked all of those playlists, it would sync all of playlist one, then 1,333 tracks of playlist too and then give you an error. Those are pretty big playlists though, its much easier to handle when they are broken up a little!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts