Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't I play different songs on different devices

Solved!

Why can't I play different songs on different devices

Why can't I play music on different devices at the same time.
Do I need Sonos ?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @trunktown ,

Unfortunately, Spotify operates on a per-user subscription model, so each Spotify premium account is really meant to be used by one person only (and one device at a time), so you can only stream from one device at a time. If you wanted to be able to stream in both rooms, you would have to have two separate Premium subscriptions.

A workaround, however, is to save your playlists to be availabe offline on your devices. Depending on the device you are using, there should be an "Available Offline" button in the playlist something. This will download those upbeat or peaceful tracks to the device, which you can then play freely by going into your device and entering Offline Mode (off the top of my head, in iPhone you can access this under Settings>Playback>Offline Mode. Now that device is offline and can play music saved offline simultaneously with the streaming device. Does that make sense? Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Spotify only supports playing on one device at a time to prevent copyright breaches. It's in their terms and conditions. If you want the same music to play in different rooms, Sonos is a streaming solution. Alternatively you could just use bluetooth speakers.

Hi Joe (or anyone who can help),

I have Spotify Premium and I have two different rooms. I want to play different songs at the same time in the different rooms, but it looks like it's not possible. I want peaceful music playing on one device in one room, and upbeat music on another device in the other room, both on the same account.

Is this not possible? What do I have to do to make this possible?

Thank you.

T.

Marked as solution

Hey @trunktown ,

Unfortunately, Spotify operates on a per-user subscription model, so each Spotify premium account is really meant to be used by one person only (and one device at a time), so you can only stream from one device at a time. If you wanted to be able to stream in both rooms, you would have to have two separate Premium subscriptions.

A workaround, however, is to save your playlists to be availabe offline on your devices. Depending on the device you are using, there should be an "Available Offline" button in the playlist something. This will download those upbeat or peaceful tracks to the device, which you can then play freely by going into your device and entering Offline Mode (off the top of my head, in iPhone you can access this under Settings>Playback>Offline Mode. Now that device is offline and can play music saved offline simultaneously with the streaming device. Does that make sense? Hope this helps!

Suggested posts