Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hanging on login

Solved!

Hanging on login

Hi,

I am a premium Spotify user; I've installed the latest Spotify app from the Play Store on my device.

Device details are:

HTC Desire

Android 4.0.4 (Evervolv)

When I open Spotify and click 'Log in with Facebook' the app displays a 'Loading' dialog, with a spinner that spins momentarily then pauses.  The application then hangs, and I am never presented with a login dialog.

I have tried:

- uninstalling Spotify

- manually deleting the Data directory for Spotify

- rebooting to recovery and reformatting the cache partition

- reinstalling Spotify

... but the problem persists.  My account seems normal, in that I can log in and stream music from desktop PCs running OSX and Linux.  I have had Spotify running successfully on this phone before, so I don't think it is a problem with the device.

I'm happy to provide assistance to your dev team if necessary, to help them debug this.

Yours,

Duncan

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

Have you tried updating to the new version of the Facebook app? Something might have been getting confused when it was bouncing over to that to log in.
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hi there. Is evervolv a custom ROM? Have you had it working with this ROM before? Any chance you could try a different ROM? Sorry, but its unlikely that spotify will be able to offer support for custom ROMs
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Hi,

I've had it running with this ROM before, on this particular phone, with all my playlists synced properly.  It just stopped working yesterday morning 😞

Besides which, I'd be surprised if Spotify distinguished between a carrier-provided ROM and a community-provided ROM ... in my experience, the latter are superior anyway 🙂

Yours,

Duncan

I received an email from Darren last night:

The reason your app is not working is because you are running the Evervolv custom system and our app is not supported on that.

Sorry about that.

The best please for you to et help on this would be on a forum for other Evervolv users to see if they have anything that has got the app to work.

When I signed up to Spotify I was under the impression that it was Android that was supported, not a particular subset of ROMs.  Anyway, I've asked Darren for the list of supported Android ROMs which I'll post here.

Marked as solution

Hello,

Have you tried updating to the new version of the Facebook app? Something might have been getting confused when it was bouncing over to that to log in.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Have you tried updating to the new version of the Facebook app?

Thanks - that fixed it :-). 

Raspberries to Spotify Support for blaming the ROM.

duncan - They were rather correct, we can't exactly support custom ROM's, as they might affect how the application would work with cellular or internet data. However, your symptoms seemed related more to the login, I was aware that a new Facebook application was out. Glad to hear that it fixed it! 

Airhorn Enthusiast

David,

How do you define a 'custom' ROM?  I'm curious because the ROM I used to use (HTC-supplied, customised for Telstra) is actually significantly less popular than the community-supported Cynaogenmod ROM.

I did receive a reply to my request about supported ROMs but it wasn't very helpful.  I've replied again ...

Hi Jessica,
> Thanks for your email.
>
> Please refer to this link for a list of Android devices that Spotify supports:
> http://www.spotify.com/uk/mobile/android/
>
> Get in touch if you need further help.

That's not entirely what I asked I'm afraid. I'm using an HTC Desire, but was told that the ROM I'm running (Sandvold's ICS, based on the Evervolv kernel) isn't supported.

What I'd like to know is which ROMS _are_ supported by Spotify.

Thanks again for your time.

Yours,
Duncan Bayne

Yours,

Duncan

David,

I'm still hoping to get an answer from Spotify on this.  Could you please explain how Spotify defines a ROM as supported or unsupported?

Yours,

Duncan

*bump* ... nothing from Spotify yet.

Could someone in an official capacity *please* explain: what makes a ROM supported or unsupported?

To my knowledge Spotify only actively support stock ROMs, in my mind that would mean any ROM which is installed by a phone manufacturer on a new phone. Could be wrong though!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts