Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

All of my playlists default to shuffle until I turn it off, even new playlists I create

All of my playlists default to shuffle until I turn it off, even new playlists I create

• None of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country

Usa

Device

iPhone SE

Operating System

IOS 15.5

My Question or Issue
I open my app one day, and all of a sudden all of my created playlists are one shuffle. And even when I make a new playlist, it will default to shuffle until I turn it off. I have no idea how this started or why, and as far as I know, there’s no option to default to shuffle. I can’t find anything online related to this and it’s annoying me to no end. I keep forgetting to turn it off, but I shouldn’t have too!

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience!

Shuffle is now on by default. If you have feedback on this, share it here 🙂

We will continue to innovate the product experience as we move forward & we might change this back or alter the behaviour in some way if needed, so stay tuned for updates.
Thank you for your patience!

P.S. Note that if you turn Shuffle off for a selected playlist, it will stay off for that playlist and will not revert to the default behaviour.

25 Replies

Hello,

i’m  having the same complaint as everyone here. maybe add an option to turn off shuffle by default , instead of forcing it on?

It’s driving me insane ! 😞

I forgot to mention, I have logged out and back in, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Having shuffle on by default is a huge mistake. I am getting the same problem - all playlists set to shuffle by default, which I don’t want - ever. And I have over 700 playlists. So, this means I have to perform this action 700 times to listen to my music in the way that I want. Why not make shuffle toggled off by default? Or have an option to toggle all in Settings?

Spotify is shuffling music (that’s not even in my playlist) without shuffle being enabled. It isnt enabled in now playing, it wasn’t enabled when the playlist was selected. 

• I’ve restarted the app 
  • I’ve closed the app
  • Ive restarted my phone 

I can’t get this to stop, I can play my music in the order it’s saved

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? 

Did Spotify change the shuffle feature? It seems I am only able to shuffle it once, and then can only click pause and play after that. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

I really hope they did not change this feature. 

I have an iPhone 12

My Spotify app on my iPhone defaults artist pages, playlists, etc to shuffle automatically. I have to manually check it off and it saves. This does not happen on my Desktop apps.  

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 13 pro max)

Operating System

(iOS 15.6.1)

My Question or Issue

Screenshot.png

I have the same exact issue. Apparently it’s a new “feature”. Extremely annoying 

1. I am experiencing this too!

2. It seems as if they did change it, and I would like them to revert it.

3. I use an iPhone 12 mini.

Starting very recently I’ve had the same problems! I just want to get the old shuffle back! The one with the playlist “shuffle/play” button which does just that. I’ve included one photo(in the darker-brown shade) of what shuffle used to be like which is what I want mine to be, and two photos(in a darker blue shade) of what it’s like now. I can’t change any thing except for listening in order which I could do anyways without paying, and when starting to play a new playlist it plays one new song from the playlist but then when I hit it again it just pauses! I hate that! I want it to play a new song every time I hit it, like I did a week ago!!!!!!! Come on Spotify! I want to cancel and get a full refund at this point. Your paid service is not even worth three out of ten stars.

IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg

I have been using Premium in the US for years.

I currently use the latest Spotify apps on both iOS 15.6.1 (iPhone 12 Pro) & macOS 12.5.1 (Mac Mini 2014).

TL;DR

How can I disable shuffle by default for all playlists on the iPhone app, instead of having to manually disable shuffle for each?

Full Issue:

Recently, on the iPhone app, all playlists (& artist currently-popular ranking lists; for clarity, I'll just reference playlists for the rest of this post) have been set to shuffle by default (even when tapping on a track in the playlist, instead of on the green circle in the top right), whereas playback previously defaulted to non-shuffled. Albums, however, still default to non-shuffled playback. If I manually disable shuffle for a playlist, it correctly plays non-shuffled; the shuffle setting seems to be remembered for each playlist, even if I close the app & reopen it.

Playlists seem to default to non-shuffled on the macOS app. If a playlist is set to shuffle on my iPhone app, if I play it on the macOS app, it plays non-shuffled on the macOS app, and the shuffle is automatically disabled for the playlist on the iPhone app.

Having to manually disable shuffle for every playlist on the iPhone is incredibly annoying. It was never like this before.

How can I disable shuffle by default for all playlists on the iPhone app, instead of having to manually disable shuffle for each?

Hey folks!

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience!

Shuffle is now on by default. If you have feedback on this, share it here 🙂

We will continue to innovate the product experience as we move forward & we might change this back or alter the behaviour in some way if needed, so stay tuned for updates.
Thank you for your patience!

P.S. Note that if you turn Shuffle off for a selected playlist, it will stay off for that playlist and will not revert to the default behaviour.

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That isnt what the spotifyers want, I am pretty sure I can speak for most spotifyer but this change isn’t what we find to be a good thing. 

I tried that too

Yep, I share the same opinion... I don't think it's a good idea too.

Maybe make it so that it can be turned off in the settings !

Is there anywhere we can give feedback to the developers to revert this or make it optional? This small change is causing major issues and is really inconvenient. 

Ya Idk why this feature was changed.

There was already a button at the bottom of the screen where you could play and pause the music. This should be changed back. 

This sucks. How do we start a page that votes on it being changed. 

Leo

If it can be turned off (on iOS devices) let me know how! But I’ve looked through it and updated with no change in the shuffling result

Nope, can’t be changed unfortunately 

Why would something like this be done at all? For sake of app update? It's terrible idea.

I think they changed it back! hopefully that stays !

Suggested posts