Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't log into Spotify after Facebook account temporarily disabled

Can't log into Spotify after Facebook account temporarily disabled

So a few days ago  I went on my phone and logged into my facebook account, this being the first time that I ever logged into FB with my phone. Evidently, when you logg into FB with a new device, it will temorarily disable your account. I thought nothing of it because I almost never logg into facebook anyway and it couldn't be too hard to get it back (which it wasn't) but when I got home I realized that my spotify was logged out, and when I tried logging back into it, it said that my account was temporarily unavailable and that I needed to log into FB to regain access. The problem is that I never linked my FB account to Spotify, but I went over to FB, got my account re-enabled and went to app settings, surely enough it isn't there. After a bit of looking around on FB, I went to the Spotify website and tried logging in, which ofcourse didn't work, I then tried the logg in with FB button, that said that I didn't have a Spotify account linked to FB, something I already knew. Then I tried to request a password reset token, but if i try that it says that I'm using FB and I need to use those credentials to log in. So basically Spotify is saying that FB is linked to spotify, but FB is saying there is no Spotify account linked to it. And I can't simply request a password reset, because Spotify thinks it's linked to FB. Can anyone help me? I've already sent an email to Spotify, but I haven't gotten anything back yet and I sent that a few days ago.

tl;dr version:

I got my Facebook account temporarily locked becasue I tried loggin in with my phone for the first time, and it also locked my spotify for some reason. I never linked my spotify with facebook, but spotify thinks i did. I can't get a password reset token becasue spotify thinks its linked with FB. FB has no spotify thing in the app settings. Basically, spotify thjinks it's linked with FB, but FB doesn't have an account linked with it.

UPDATE:

Alright, so I think I've figured it out, I used a different email to signup to spotify with then my FB. When I created my spotify account it automatically created a new Facebook i guess (not really sure who thought that was a good idea...) so it linked with that FB account. Now my problem is that I either didn't put in a birthdate for that FB account or I put it in incorrectly, so I can't get that account re-enabled, because I didn't put in a security question, and the only way to re-enable that account is to put in my birthdate, which as I said before I either didn't enter or I entered it wrong. SO, if there is anyway I could talk with someone to get that spotify unlinked with that facebook account or something, because I had a few playlists on there that I would not like to remake, most of them being private, so I can't look at them unless logged into that account. If anyone could hlep me I would be very grateful.

And if any of the owners of spotify read this (which they prbably won't) you need to take that off, not everyone uses Facebook, I don't really, although I do have an account, I don't use it anymore, also my FB email is different than my main email that i use, so it made a new facebook and i didn't realize, bad design choice....

4 Replies

To sign up for Spotify without Facebook, you have to click "create an account using email address" on the sign up page. You no longer need a Facebook account to use Spotify.

If you are logged into Facebook while viewing the sign up page, you get a fake sign-up form that will only tell you to log in to Facebook if you click the blue register button. Watch out for that, the fake page says "we prefilled this form using facebook info" while the spotify account sign up form doesn't do that.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

As far as I am aware the Spotify system never creates new Facebook accounts, this would not be possible as you need to be on the Facebook website to enter all your details and read the T&C's of usage. 

Spotify will allow you to log in either using an existing Facebook account or using a Spotify username and password. 

As Stupify said above, when prompted with the log in screen, you have a choice of either entering a spotify username or an email address which will be used for Facebook log in.

I have seen several other posts on the community saying that it takes a few days for Spotify to start working again after your Facebook account has been re-enabled after being disabled, so it might be worth waiting a few days first. I am also not sure why your account got temporarily disabled unless you where attempting to log in too many times with the wrong password or making the system think someone else was trying to access your account. If you have 2 step verification enabled on your Facebook, where the system sends you a SMS message when you log in from a new device, you might want to disable it to see if that makes a difference. 

If you are still having issues, I would suggest you get in touch with the customer service team directly using the online contact form and someone will be able to assist you.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Alright, so it looks like I'm not getting that account back, is there any way to get my playlists from that account onto a new one (not this one)? I think i had 2 private playlists and 1 public playlist. Is there any way a mod or someone can get those transferred over to a new account for me, or am I going to have to remake them all?

Hey again 🙂

Just drop the customer services team a message using the online contact form and they should be able to sort all of this for you. Response times are normally within 48 hours so be sure to check your inbox as well as any spam/junk folders. If you get an automated reply telling you to come to the community, just reply back directly to that message again and it will be sent to a member of the team.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts