Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Charged $9.99 after cancelling free trial?

Solved!

Charged $9.99 after cancelling free trial?

Hi, I recently noticed on my credit card that I was charged $9.99 by Spotify. Literally right after I signed up for the free trial, I went to cancel. I still remember the endless pages to cancel. When I found out I was charged again, my account acted like it had never been cancelled. I am very upset about this, considering Spotify took money from my credit card without my permission. It seems that I'm not the only one that has had this happen to me, I feel like I've been scammed along with everyone else. I would like to get my money back ASAP.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You lost me forever - I absolutely despise deceptive practices - I canceled my subscriptin on June 6th - Only to find a charge for service on my AMEX AND the account set for autorenew again on July 7th. Disputing charge with AMEX - went back yo re-cancel - this time I paid VERY CLOSE attention - They make you click on "cancel my subscription" 3 different times on three different pages for it to take effect. SPOTIY has officially became douche of the internet in my opinion. I hope you go out of business! Thanks for putting me in a **bleep**ty mode and wasting my time@

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I'm in exactly the same position, all the buttons needed to cancel are below the webpage fold under hundreds of adverts! So sneaky and deceptive!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hi BVeber - As this is a payments related query, we've forwarded your query to the customer service department. A member of our team will be in touch shortly--keep an eye on your personal inbox.

If you think you're also experiencing this issue, please get in touch via the contact form. Our payments team will then be able to lend you a hand. 

I think if you used PayPal as the payment option you have to cancel both on the website and on PayPal.  (I'm just assuming this is what happened, not sure if you used PayPal)

Maybe a Spotify rep can clarify that?

@Meredith, where can I locate my personal inbox?

dance27 - Cancelling your Premium via your subscription page is all you need to do. No need to contact PayPal too. 

Of course if you have Premium through your movile provider, you'll need to cancel with them. 

BVeber - That message has been sent to your personal Gmail account. If you don't see it in your inbox please check your Spam filter too. 

This has happened to me. I am only 14 and cancelled the subscription 4 days after I had started, and this has taken my pocket money for the week. I am going on holiday next week and I have tried to save but had to buy essentials, now I hardly have anything for holiday. I am really upset about this and I feel ripped off considering I am not the only one who has experianced this. I dont even have premium now which makes me even more angry. It looks liek i've had to pay for my free trial. Smiley Mad I hope spotify notice the problem and refund me if not i refuse to ever use their programme again. Shocking.

xxemmahull - Could you pop over a message to us directly? We should be able to sort this out fairly easily. Scroll up, click on "About Us" then select contact form. Let us know when you've dropped us a message. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

David I have emailed twice and tweeted the support team but nobody seems to be answering me.

I have a similar problem. I started my thirty day free trial and I ended up canceling it two weeks later. It was the week of Christmas,  and I checked my bank account today ( 1/15/13) and it shows that I'm being charged $9.99 for a spotify subscription.
It still says pending on the website where I checked my bank account, but I want to make sure that the charge doesnt go through.

Tomas_M - If you could contact our payments team, we'll be able to look into it further.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I signed up for the free trial and then completely forgot I signed up for it in the first place (I only used it for a few days), and so it's been over a month and they've charged me. Is there anyway to get my money back? I've since canceled the subscription.

Alessandra

@malinahona -- we're not able to deal with payment issues via the Community, but if you get in touch here one of our lovely support team will get back to you as soon as they can. If you get an automated response, reply back to it directly.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.
Marked as solution

You lost me forever - I absolutely despise deceptive practices - I canceled my subscriptin on June 6th - Only to find a charge for service on my AMEX AND the account set for autorenew again on July 7th. Disputing charge with AMEX - went back yo re-cancel - this time I paid VERY CLOSE attention - They make you click on "cancel my subscription" 3 different times on three different pages for it to take effect. SPOTIY has officially became douche of the internet in my opinion. I hope you go out of business! Thanks for putting me in a **bleep**ty mode and wasting my time@

Marked as solution

I'm in exactly the same position, all the buttons needed to cancel are below the webpage fold under hundreds of adverts! So sneaky and deceptive!

Same here i don't use spotufy since around end of July, what i didn't notice was that i got changed last month on 14/10 but i did notice one from today 22/10, so its not even a monthly cycle they just charge whenever they want. Thankfully any charge to my account I can Cancel up to 60days later. So obviously I did. I Stopped using Spotify because they basically steal from artists. There are many Polish rappers that never signed anything with Spotify (they say it publicly) yet their music is on there. 

Now it turns out they will not only Steal from artists. They will also steal from you if you don't pay attention. I was just lucky that I noticed today and still had time to cancel the charge from last month. Funny how since July until October they didn't charge me anything, and somehow without me logging in for 3 months they decided on their own I wan premium. **bleep**ing theifs.

Suggested posts