Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Difference between library and local files

Difference between library and local files

Please help me out, I was wondering how you can see whether a number is a local file or a file from the library.

11 Replies

Hey, welcome to the Community.

Local files will have a little 'file' icon next to them, as such:

Screen Shot 2012-06-26 at 6.18.38 PM.png

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Yes, I do know that.

But my question is different.

Sometimes a local file is coupled to a spotify number, AND, sometimes a local file is not coupled to a spotify number.

So, if you import a spotify number to a playlist, how do you know its a coupled spotify number OR it is just a local file?

Thanks a lot!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "number" here.

But if a song isn't in the Spotify catalogue you might be able to tell because the links to the artist/album etc. will be greyed out. In my example for instance we don't have 65daysofstatic's "Silent Running" so it's in grey.

Does that make things any clearer?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Yes, it does.

I meant just a random number in spotify.

Last question, if a spotify music number is coupled to a music number from my library, what song is playing when you press the play button from that music number. The spotify number, or the local file number?

Spotify should play whatever it's easiest to get ahold of I'd say.

So in theory the preference order would be..

Local File stored on your computer > Track synced offline from Spotify > Track streamed from the Spotify catalogue

Okay.

So summarized its this: If you import a file from the spotify catalogue to a playlist, and you want to recognize whether its a local file or not, you should look if the file is 'grey' or not, and if the file has a icon next to it. If it is like this, its a local file that is not in the spotify catalogue.

Right?

Yes.

Spotify will try to recognize tracks that you have MP3s of in their own catalogue. If it does that then you will see the file icon but the track name will not be greyed out. When you choose to play such a track Spotify will play your local copy instead of streaming it.

If it can't find a match then the track name is greyed - but you can still play it because it's your local copy anyway.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Thanks a lot, this make things clear.

Thanks!!!

And you'll make me more happy to answer this last question.

When you choose to play such a track Spotify will play your local copy instead of streaming it. Your words 😉

What will happen if you delete that local file?

Will Spotify stream the track instead of play the local copy, because the local file is missing?

Yep - as long as Spotify has it in its catalogue (non-greyed).

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

You really helped me out man thanks again!

Suggested posts