Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I keep Facebook deactivated?

Solved!

How can I keep Facebook deactivated?

Okay, so I want to keep my facebook deactivated, but when I log into Spotify it reactivates my Facebook. Is there a way to keep Facebook deactivated and use spotify?

I don't mind even linking my account with a new facebook account that has no friends added. I just want my current Facebook with all my friends to be deactived for the time being.

Thanks

54 Replies

I stand with the previous commentor. I've been a spotify premium user for well over a year now and will be ceasing payment if I cannot have all of my information migrated to a new account for me without having to log back into Facebook. I'm sorry, but this is a poorly coordinated business practice.

@Adam wrote:

@michaeljerzy - if you get in touch here one of our support team will be more than happy to help you get set up with a new account. If you get an automated response, reply back to it directly.

As Adam wrote above, if you get in touch with support they will be able to get that migrated over for you.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@KevinSal wrote:

This is an absolute joke.  Didnt you guys think someone would stop using facebook eventually?

I too dont want to use facebook anymore and have everything tied to that account.  This should be an option to delink from facebook.  Your application is junk as of right now.

You just lost a premium customer.  Others should follow suit.  Facebook wont be around forever guys, get smart and find a way without creating FAKE facebook accounts.. Come on thats your solution?

Former Customer,

Kevin

Yes, it is a joke and COMPLETELY WRONG! I'm eager to deactivate my Facebook account as well and have the same problem. SPOTIFY IS WRONG for forcing us to keep our facebook account activated. And you are FORCING us, in effect. Please stop with the b.s. about setting up a new account and subscribing to the playlists of the old one. That is a most inconvenient work around. Spotify has the IT brainpower to allow us to delink our facebook from our Spotify account but simply does not want to. Shame on you.

@Peter wrote:

@KevinSal wrote:

This is an absolute joke.  Didnt you guys think someone would stop using facebook eventually?

I too dont want to use facebook anymore and have everything tied to that account.  This should be an option to delink from facebook.  Your application is junk as of right now.

You just lost a premium customer.  Others should follow suit.  Facebook wont be around forever guys, get smart and find a way without creating FAKE facebook accounts.. Come on thats your solution?

Former Customer,

Kevin

I know this is not an ideal solution, but you can migrate to using a non-Facebook account by following the steps outlined in my tutorial here.

Peter

I appreciate your effort, but Spotify is wrong to make us go through such a tortured workarounds so that we may deactivate our Facebook account.

I did suggest implementating a feature which would allow this sort of thing to happen too here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-a-way-to-transfer-from-a-Spotify-account-cre...

But Spotify replied saying it wasn't possible due to the restriction of not being able to change usernames, which isn't an issue unique to Spotify (several other services I use have the same restriction). Unfortunately, since the Facebook system "just works" for so many Spotify users, the amount of work required to do such a thing would far outway the benefits for the majority of customers I think.

Peter

Well, I'll post something postive following my expressions of dissatisfaction with the Facebook-linkage thing. I did contact Spotify about either 1) delinking my account from Facebook or 2) migrating all my content to a de-linked account. Anyhow, within minutes I did receive help. While this isn't ideal, as you can see, Spotify will work with you on the issue and transfer all your playlists. However, as you'll see, not all stuff such as "Follow" and "Subscription" data. Here's the email I received within about 5 minutes of my submission to Spotify.

Hello Frank,

Thanks for getting in touch, hope you're well.

The only thing what you can do is create a new account.

You don't need to worry about your playlist I will be able to transfer them for you, also your starred, unfortunately I cannot move your follow-list and card details.

When you create a new account please let us know, so we will be able finish our job.

If you wish to use your email address (  cohenfs@yahoo.com ), just let me know and I will free it up for you. 

The most important can you please confirm:
- date of birth
- postal/zip code
 last 4 digits of your bank card

Also if you click on the link below you will get 30 days free Premium Trial:

ww.spotify.com/freetrial30

Hope to hear from you soon. 🙂

Regards, 

Anastasia. 

Customer Service Advisor 
Cambridge, UK 

@Peter wrote:

I did suggest implementating a feature which would allow this sort of thing to happen too here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-a-way-to-transfer-from-a-Spotify-account-cre...

But Spotify replied saying it wasn't possible due to the restriction of not being able to change usernames, which isn't an issue unique to Spotify (several other services I use have the same restriction). Unfortunately, since the Facebook system "just works" for so many Spotify users, the amount of work required to do such a thing would far outway the benefits for the majority of customers I think.

Yea. I think you're right about the cost v. benefit thing. Thank you. 

Marked as solution

Deactivating facebook and keeping spotify without having to get a new acct can be done if you have a premium acct.  you need to log back into facebook so you will have access to your spotify acct.  You then need to create a device password.  click this link to create a device password  http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password  Once you receive an email and create your device password, log out/deactivate facebook, then log into spotify on your device using your new numerical username and password provided. Enjoy!

@eyekeyshoe wrote:

Deactivating facebook and keeping spotify without having to get a new acct can be done if you have a premium acct.  you need to log back into facebook so you will have access to your spotify acct.  You then need to create a device password.  click this link to create a device password  http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password  Once you receive an email and create your device password, log out/deactivate facebook, then log into spotify on your device using your new numerical username and password provided. Enjoy!

Really? Ok, I'll give this a shot later, when I have a few minutes and come back with my feedback and, if it works, kudos and accept as solution. Spotify customer support, though it gave me a quick response, did not give me this solution. They told me to set up a new account and cancel the old one but and that they'd help me move  playlists to the new one. I'm taking it that this is an unofficial workaround, not a formally accepted solution by the company yet. Thank you for your help.

@cohenfs wrote:

@eyekeyshoe wrote:

Really? Ok, I'll give this a shot later, when I have a few minutes and come back with my feedback and, if it works, kudos and accept as solution. Spotify customer support, though it gave me a quick response, did not give me this solution. They told me to set up a new account and cancel the old one but and that they'd help me move  playlists to the new one. I'm taking it that this is an unofficial workaround, not a formally accepted solution by the company yet. Thank you for your help.

WOOHOO! It worked! No longer trapped in the Facebook snare. Thank you.

@eyekeyshoe wrote:

This worked for me! I even had a friend who has facebook double-check to make sure my facebook is still gone and it didn't log me back in for logging in to Spotify. So far so good. However, I still contacted customer support to get my account transferred to a non-facebook linked account. But in the meantime this is a quick fix so I can still actually use Spotify without facebook while I wait.

you're  welcome. i saw this soulution in post here, but for a different problem. i figured/hoped it would work in this situation. its worked for me problem free for over two months now.  i'm still off facebook and i didn't need to create a new email account just so i could get a new spotify acct. i did have trouble signing into the community at first but i recently got a computer and i got here through the community link in the help menu of the desktop app,

Hi you guys, I have great news, I just figured it out!

Here is what you do:

1. Log into the account you currently have that is connected to facebook. Right click on the name of your playlist(s) and click "copy spotify URL". Past your URL(s) into a separate Word or Rich Text document. 
  2. Create a new spotify account NOT linked to a facebook account. Create a new playlist (you don't have to put any songs on it). Stay logged into your new spotify acount.
  3. Go to the document with your pasted URL(s) from your facebook-spotify acount and click on the URL(s).  You will see that your playlist from your facebook-spotify account is showing. Select all of your songs (an easy way to do this on a mac is to click the first song, hold down the shift key, and then click the last song on the list.) While everything is still hilighted, click control and then your left click button and select "add to" and add the songs to your new playlist on your new spotify account.

It worked really well for me, I hope you all have success with this method! I have not yet deleted my facebook-spotify account, but I don't see why my music on my new spotify account would suddenly dissapear if I did. 

^ That will definitely do the trick! If you have a huge number of playlists, Spotify support can also move them over to a new account for you if you get in touch with them. 🙂

Peter

Thanks Natatat! This also worked for me! 

"Deactivating facebook and keeping spotify without having to get a new acct can be done if you have a premium acct.  you need to log back into facebook so you will have access to your spotify acct.  You then need to create a device password.  click this link to create a device password  http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password  Once you receive an email and create your device password, log out/deactivate facebook, then log into spotify on your device using your new numerical username and password provided. Enjoy!" 

The only note I would add is it needs to be done on your PC/Laptop, not your device. I attempted it on my device and the device password email link took me to the general login screen. When doing on a PC it worked. I was then able to deactivate FB, and I then logged in on my device with the new logins, and it's functioning as normal! Thank you! 

http://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/2phwhb/found_an_actual_solution_to_deactivating_facebook/

this is an actual solution

and it works

It doesn't require setting up a dummy facebook account and there is no need to create a new spotify account.

This way, you can use a device ID and the password that you have created to log in to any and all devices WITHOUT going through Facebook. 

❤️ 

This is the question. Why can't we change to an email address, (which Spotify already has!)? Totally unacceptable. 

This worked for me. Facebook doesn't bother me and I can still use my Premium account both on my PC and phone.

This is the most helpful answer, thanks.

Hi!

I tried using this but got stopped at the creating password portion. Spotify kept telling me that "There was a problem setting your password"

I'm not sure what is wrong. Please help. I do want to keep my FB deactivated as well but still be able to use spotify. I am a premium Spotify user.

Suggested posts