How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solved!

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

chellievista

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Hey folks,

Here are a few suggestions made by members of the Community:

@Jude /@user-removed suggest asking your friend to send you a link to one of their playlists. When you open the link to the playlist, you will find a link to their profile.

@David suggests typing 'spotify:user:[username]' into the search bar on the desktop or mobile app.

Note: if your friend doesn't know their username, they can easily find it by doing the following:

• go to your profile page in the app
  • click on the three-dot menu below your display name (note: this is not the same as your username) and click Share > Copy Spotify URI
  • paste the URI - you will see your username in the format spotify:user:[username] (your username is what appears between the square brackets)

If you want to change your username, make sure to check out this thread to find out how.

Hope that helps! 

PeterModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.
And it's my job to be present." - Maggie Rogers
139 Replies

Re: How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

David
Spotify Legend

If they have a Spotify account, you could locate them with their username, by using the following technique - 

Type the following code into the Spotify search bar - spotify:user:[username] (replacing [username] with their Spotify username), and you should be able to locate their account. For example, to find your account, type in spotify:user:chellievista and press enter, and your account will appear.

Airhorn Enthusiast

tane

David - just to clarify, are you saying there is no way to find a user just based on their email address?

Jude
Spotify Legend

Allowing identification of users by email address would be a breach of privacy, unless each user specifically agreed to it.

Email your friend, and ask them to send you a link to one of their playlists.

ColdSummer
Casual Listener

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

Peter__
Community Legend

@ColdSummer wrote:

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Do you get an error message? Are you sure you are searching with a dedicated Spotify username? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

ColdSummer
Casual Listener

Yes I get an error message that says " Load user error"

GodfreyBK

I was having similar trouble adding one of my friends because he gave me the wrong username.  So I just typed out "spotify:user:godfreybk" in an email and told him to copy and paste into his search function.  It worked immediately.  So as long as you know your own username, I would suggest doing that.

Highlighted

fornbogi

This sounds like a pro feature. I would reccomend a better user friendly approach to adding friends or people you want to follow.

It's like the most basic feature I've always expected to find, but never found...

Regular

I use Spotify every day, and spotify:user:xxxxxxxxx ' is not working, has something to do with numbers and not with a name..!

SUGGESTED POSTS