Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How does Spotify legally distribute music to everyone?

How does Spotify legally distribute music to everyone?

Hi, I make websites too but I've never made and in the broadcasting field. So, I'm just wondering. They say that if you buy a CD/Tape/etc you're the only person who's legally allowed to listen to it. If you play a CD in your car really loud and drive down the street you and/or everyone else who's heard the song are breaking the law.

So, how can Spotify be allowed to do this? Where'd they get their license?

What'd I have to do to get a license of my own?

Thanks in advance! 

5 Replies

Hi. The full text of your licence from Spotify is here. Spotify have agreements with the music publishers to distribute their music in exchange for payment and, if you want to distribute music, you will need to get permission from the publishers yourself.

The playing loudly in the car thing came up a while ago in another discussion and I think we concluded that, as long as you weren't deliberately trying to entertain or profit, it was OK.

Kudos sir, but how does a typical everyday person contact extremely famous producers for permission of distribution? 

You could go through one of the agencies such as Harry Fox.

How do I know they're legit and I wont end up getting myself arrested?

If you are looking to licensing content it is almost easier to go directly to the big record labels yourself, most of them have contact pages on their websites such as Warner Music:

http://www.wmg.com/contact

That way you know you are going straight to the copyright holders!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts