Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I have Spotify Premium but can't access mobile from outside the U.S.

Solved!

I have Spotify Premium but can't access mobile from outside the U.S.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on either google or by searching these forums (briefly).

I have a paid subscription to Spotify Premium and want to take advantage of the mobile service, but the problem is I'm currently in Panama where the mobile service isn't supported.  My desktop version of spotify works fine, and actually I downloaded spotify on my iPod Touch just fine, too.  I just can't get the Google Play Store to download Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

Can someone tell me the right way to go about this?  If I can't take advantage of the mobile services I would probably discontinue my subscription to Spotify Premium.  

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You can also download this file to your computer:

http://www.mattsuda.net/software/spotify/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk

and upload it to http://www.apkinstall.com yourself and make the QR code to manually install the app on your phone and bypass Google Play. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Can I get some help on this?  I keep marking it as new but it's not getting any attention.

The Spotify premium subscription allows you to use your Spotify account while traveling in any country, as long as you purchased your premium subscription in your home country where Spotify is available.

That is why you are able to play music on your desktop and iPod touch with no problem.

I'm not sure why Google Play won't let you download the Spotify app to your S3.

What happens when you try to download the Spotify app on your S3? Does some message pop up telling you it cannot be downloaded?

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi, thanks for responding.

I bought and paid for subscription while I was in America, but am abroad now.  When I try to download the application on my phone from the Google Play store, it tells me the app is not available in my country.

I thought there might be a way for me to log in to my account so it detects that I am a premium member, but alas when I try to do so on the browser, the same thing happens.  

Is there somewhere I can download the app on my computer, and then load it onto my phone?  I'm sure once it knows I am a premium member it should work as expected, but it's just getting past the barrier of actually getting the app that's hindering me.

I will look this up and get back to you shortly. 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star

I have an iPhone, so this is my best try with a little research. 😃

Let's try a manual app install not using Google Play

First:

Before attempting a manual installation of apps using the .apk files, you must first allow your phone to install from “Unknown Sources”

To do this, navigate to Menu -> Settings -> Applications and check the box marked “Unknown Sources“.

Now scan the QR code below with your camera (or download a QR code reader app)

*QR code was deleted after 15 minute timeout*

See post below this

After you scan the QR code, the service apkinstall will guide you through the manual install process with instructions

I uploaded the latest Spotify APK to their service for you to download.

They will delete it after 15 minutes.

If you happen to do this when the 15 minutes are up, I can always reupload and create a new QR code for you.

I am a top contributor here at Spotify. I would never send you a false file with bad things.

Let me know how things go.

MattSudaSpotify Star

It has been about 15 minutes. 

Let me know if you would like to try this method. I can reupload and post another QR code for you to download it on your phone without using Google Play. This will probably bypass the country requirement. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

You can also download this file to your computer:

http://www.mattsuda.net/software/spotify/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk

and upload it to http://www.apkinstall.com yourself and make the QR code to manually install the app on your phone and bypass Google Play. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Sorry!  I was away from my computer.  I'll try the second method first so we don't have to coordinate timings.  I will let you know if I need your help with the QR code again.  Thanks!

You, my friend, are a genius and a saint!  How do I properly thank you for helping me like this?  

You're welcome! 😃 

Glad I could help.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi there, 

I'm having the same problem. I'm outside the US, but have a premium subscription and am using a Samsung Galaxy S3. Is the file available somewhere else or would you be able to post it again? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

@user-removed wrote:

Hi there, 

I'm having the same problem. I'm outside the US, but have a premium subscription and am using a Samsung Galaxy S3. Is the file available somewhere else or would you be able to post it again? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

You can download the Spotify app directly from Spotify (but it might be an older version):

http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts