Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

If on family premium can three people listen to different music at the same time on different device

Solved!

If on family premium can three people listen to different music at the same time on different device

At the moment I am the administrator and my dauighter as a sub-account if she listens to music I cannot listen to my music on a different device at the same time, will this change with the new family premium upto 6 members?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there everyone, thanks for reaching out with this in the community!

That doesn't sound right. Being in a Premium for Family subscription means that each member in the plan has their own Spotify account. You can read more about how it works here and here.

Hope this was helpful!

K

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

View solution in original post

22 Replies

I would like to know this too. I signed up for premium family with the assumption that all 4 of us could listen at the same time but on different devices.

I really wish that someone from Spotify would answer this question!  It's frustrating when my daughter is using Spotify while she's jogging and I want to use it at the same time while at home.  It's frustrating.

hello someone answer why cant more than one person use the family account at the same time. I will cancel if this cannot get fixed!

Marked as solution

Hey there everyone, thanks for reaching out with this in the community!

That doesn't sound right. Being in a Premium for Family subscription means that each member in the plan has their own Spotify account. You can read more about how it works here and here.

Hope this was helpful!

K

We still have a problem that only one person can listen to music at any one time and your link does not tell us how to resolve this problem. Please can someone give step by step instructions as to why this isn't working and how to rectify it, given that all 4 members have already accepted their invite from administrator and then set up an account which had a code ready to be redeemed. there seems to be no benefit in family spotify if you can't listen to different music on different devices at the same time. Why is it sooo difficult to get help on this.

thank you

Hey again @jowilkinson 🙂

The links I provided above are meant to show that for a Premium for Family to work properly, each member (other than the plan administrator) needs to have their own Spotify account to be able to listen from any device, any time. It won't work if all members of the family log in the same Spotify account.

If you all have seperate accounts under the Premium for Family plan and you still have that issue, could you let me know more details, like for example, does it happen when you're all connected on the same network or device, have you made sure you have each logged in your personal Spotify account or do you see an error message, etc.

Let me know 🙂
K

I upgraded ot the family plan. When the invite is sent each device (invitee) has to create a spotify account that then links them as a "sub" account to the parent. BUT whenever someone (lets say me, Dad) is listening to music on my Iphone suddenly it will go away & I'll know see it's playing on my daughters Ipad as she opened Spotify. I can see on my spotify that the music "is now playing on your JW's account" but WHY WHY WHY does it do that. WHY can't she play whatever she wants on spotify & it not interupt what I'm listening too. I have the family plan & have invited 2 people to join, my Wife & Daughter, & just like the regular account whenever someone starts playing music from their dvice it takes over what the othe person was doing. I've searched for how to fix this & can't find any help. PLEASE HELP

Hey there @dmjcwilson, welcome the community!

That sounds very odd so let's try some basic troubleshooting steps first. Have you tried logging out of all devices? If not, try logging out and back in, each member of the family to the device they're using. If you have and it hasn't helped, try clean reinstalling Spotify from all the devices you get this issue. You can find a step-by-step guide on how to clean reinstall Spotify here: https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/troubleshooting2/reinstallation-of-spotify/

It's worth a shot to also remove all devices from here https://www.spotify.com/account/offline-devices/ after doing the clean reinstallation in all your devices. Keep in mind that you'll have to redownload any offline content you had available.

Let me know how it works!
K

Did you get a solution to this problem as I have exactly the same issue and I a much pretty close to dumping family account as it isn't money down the drain 

Since this seems to be an ongoing issue - can you just confirm that if you have a premium family account, all members who are under it and have their own account should be able to listen to their music, on different devices, at the same time?

Hi - I have the same problem.  I clicked on both of those links that you shared but wasn't able to solve the problem of how different family member can get different log in details on the same account.  At the moment we have only one log-in detail, and several emails with log-in codes, but have no idea how to go about getting people on separate devices.  Please can you tell me the answer, rather than sharing links, as I will only get lost again!  Thank you

I was able to figure this out per the links that she provided in previous post.  Each individual will need to have his/her own spotify account.  If need be, create them a new account.  In my case, i had to create a new account for our son.  Spotify will send the new account an email to verify the account, so in this case, i had to create an email for our son.  Once the new account has been confirmed and activated, you can then go to your premium account page and invite the new account.  It will send the new account an email and ask them to join your family account.  All they have to do is accept.  You can then listen to different music at the same time on multiple devices.  Hope this helped.

details.PNG

THANK YOU!

As long as each has an individual account which you have linked to your family account, the answer is yes. You can have up to 5.

Hi,  

This does the same to me! I was on a trip recently listening to music, and my husband (as a joke) was able to hijack my spotify and play some stupid song he knows I hate! LOL But, moreover than that, I STILL can't listen to music is my daughter or husband decide to turn it on wherever they are.  Its stops plahing and I get a message "Spotify was interrupted because someone else is logged into your account" or something like that.  Did you ever figure out how to solve this? It is useless to pay $15 for a 'family plan' that only one person can use at a time!  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Agreed.  Did anyone figure this out? It just kicked me out again and I was in a groove! LOL 😕

Anyone living with you can have their own spotify account and then can be "invited" to your family premium plan 🙂 That seems to be working for us. We are three people under 1 roof with 3 different spotify accounts and we havent had any issues yet!

I could not get it to work, so dropped family and went back to just premium and we just don't play it at the same time. Spotify losing out on revenue by not giving proper support.

Yep did all that and it did not work, so saved myself the extra cost for no benefit and dropped family subscription.

Suggested posts