Premium

Country

USA

Device

Website

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a $60 and a $30 Spotify Premium gift card and I redeemed the $30 Gift card with no issue but when I tried to redeem the $60 gift card I received this error:

"You can’t redeem this code because you’ve hit the limit for the months of Spotify Premium you can redeem at one time. Please try again later."

I know there is a limit of 4 gift card redemptions per month, but shouldn't I be able to redeem a 2nd gift card?  The last Spotify gift card I redeemed was on July 20th, and I have not redeemed one before that in over a year, so it has been more than a month since I redeemed one.  I thought I should be allowed to redeem at least 4, but after 1, it stopped working.

11 Replies

Hey @Liquid_Ice, welcome to the community. 

Hmm, that’s odd. Could you try this using another browser or incognito mode to see if that helps?

If you’re still having trouble, could you send me a screenshot of the error message being shown? Please do hide sensitive info when posting to the community.

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the advice - I just tried on a different computer that I've never logged into Spotify before on a completely different network and it gave me the same message.

@Liquid_Ice,

Thanks for the reply. 

Could you send me a screenshot of the error message being shown? Please hide sensitive info when posting to the community. 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Here is the error code I am getting.

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 4.09.04 PM.png

@Liquid_Ice,

That's odd. Did you recently change your subscription from the regular Premium to a different subscription, like the Family plan?

Also, let me know know when's the next renewal date from your account page.

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

I did recently switch from a Family Plan back to Premium.  Does that effect things?

My expiration date right now is 2/27/2019.

@Liquid_Ice,

Thanks for the information. 

To confirm, do you remember starting with Spotify on the regular Premium or another plan? 

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

I started as a Free user for a long time, but I upgraded to Premium using a gift card originally.  I did live in a different country at the time (Canada) - so my account was Premium Canada and then I switched over to USA once the gift cards had expired since I moved to the USA.

I chatted with online support and they said that the gift card won't work until my existing gift card subscription is used up, so I have to wait until February and then the next one should work they say ... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Is there some kind of limit on how long you can have "built up" on a Premium subscription, is the limit 1 year or something?

@Liquid_Ice,

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes, If you’ve changed from the regular Premium subscription to the Family plan, you won't be able to add the gift cards until the plan is over.

I hope this helps 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

Well thats whats weird, I was on a Family Plan, I cancelled my Family Plan and said once my Family Plan expires I'd drop back to the Free Tier.  After that I was able to apply a $30 gift card to my account, and it extended my expiration date until February 2019.  Then when I went to apply the $60 gift card, it didn't work and gave me that error about applying too many gift cards.

I thought the limit was 4 per month, and before the $30 code, the last time I applied a gift card was on July 20th.  So I have only applied one gift card, I don't know why it won't let me apply a 2nd.  I could see if I had to wait until my family plan expired in November but then why did the $30 one work?

Hey @Liquid_Ice.

It seems you have a lot of Premium time left on your account. There is a limit of how many months of Premium you can have on your Spotify account. Check if the card that doesn't work have a date of expiry, and if there is time left, wait a few months and try again.

We hope that will work. Let us know if it doesn't, or if it did of course!

Have a good one.

Suggested posts