Sharing Local Files On PLaylists?

Sharing Local Files On PLaylists?

jstnneeley

I have a few playlists that friends are attempting to listen to, but a few of my local files are not visible on the playlist.  Is there a way to make the local files visible for friends to listen to as well?  I am nervous about allowing them to sign in on my computer, and syncing their iphone to spotify....Would that erase their playlists they previously made?

Any help would be..well, helpful :)

Thanks! 

22 Replies

Re: Sharing Local Files On PLaylists?

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Your local files will not show up for others if you have made the playlist public.

Local files are located on your computer's hard drive. Usually if Spotify has the song, it will show up as streamable, but it would stream from Spotify. If Spotify doesn't have the song in their library, then your friends can't stream it. People can't stream local files that someone has stored on their computer.

If their iPhone is already synced to their Spotify library, then things could go wrong.

The best thing to do would be to send your friends the local file on your computer so they will have access to the same song when the import it into their iTunes library.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I struggled trying to figure out how I would explain this. :smileyhappy:

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

MadmanOnWheels
Roadie

Actually, Matt, some users can play local files, of others' library, if you make a playlist, of your local files. Some have been able, to play mine and I have been able, to play someone else's. That is part, of the point, to make Spotify, one source, to play all your music, from. I saw something, that you posted, about how you add local files, elsewhere. It showed, that you get both your computer and device, on the same network and make a playlist, of all your local files. Then download all the songs and all the (same) local files, on other playlists will no longer be grayed out. I had done it, the way, that you stated, but it isn't how it's supposed, to work. Before my computer had stopped working, for a while, I just saw all my personal songs, in the computer application, under local files and the ones, that I added, to playlists would not be grayed out, when I was, in Wi-Fi. Now, it only works, the other way. So, I have, to keep the playlists, of local files downloaded, to have the individual local file songs, on other playlists able, to play (even in Wi-Fi). That just takes up, more room. I never had, to even have a playlist, of all my local files. I only moved the individual local file songs, to playlists. What happened and how do I get it fixed?

healsthyself
Casual Listener

jesus, christ, the, **bleep**ing, commas

MadmanOnWheels
Roadie

You just don't know how, to use them. Calm down and stay, on the subject.

healsthyself
Casual Listener

You, have, to be, trolling,

MadmanOnWheels
Roadie

No, I don't and, that's not even a thing. It's called getting notifications, by e-mail and replying. Learn how things work and stop making senseless comments. Uh oh. I feel another one coming. Wait, for it. Wait, for it...

arecross

thats not how you use commas boy

MadmanOnWheels
Roadie

Yes, I do. You obviously don't; you just proved it. Quit whining about my correct use of commas, and don't call me, "boy". If you don't have any comments, about the subject (local files), then don't comment.

P.S., learn how to make a sentence, especially if you're going to criticize someone else's grammar. I could point out four things wrong, with yours.

NukeHead
Casual Listener

I'm sorry, but Madman, it would be nice if you could simplify what you just said. It really confuses me. Thanks

SUGGESTED POSTS