Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sharing playlists with family members

Solved!

Sharing playlists with family members

Upgraded recently to a family account and would like to share playlists with family members. When I am using the "share" option I can't select any friends to share with. I am not using sign-in via Facebook and I don't intent to do so. Any other way to share with my family?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This workaround is fairly easy.

On desktop ctrl-click (Mac) or right-click (PC) on the playlist you want to share. Select 'Copy Playlist Link' and paste that into an email to the family member. When they open the link, they can then 'follow' that playlist.

Or

On the app find the playlist, click the 3 dots at the top right, select 'share' then 'Copy Playlist Link' which copies it to your clipboard. Paste that into a text message to the family member, which they can open on their phone and select 'follow' as before in the app.

View solution in original post

84 Replies

Hey there! 

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. 

At this moment, it's only possible to share songs or playlists if you have your account linked to Facebook. Thanks for the feedback though, we'll make sure to pass it on to the right team. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Keep on dancing 🙂

This is something that I would really have 'expected' to have been a fairly basic feature of the family subscription....kind of a USP...so to have to use Facebook defeats the object for me....I would support this development asap!

Absolutely right

Many family members (children) would possibly have created a playlist on "Dad's" premium account and now cant simply share it to their own new account - please sort this soonest - basic stuff I would have thought

It's as though you know my situation!!

add me to the list of people who want the feature of sharing playlist without needing facebook

I used Trikatuka to transfer my daughter's weird stuff to her newly created new Family/Premium account from my account.
I got rid of all the Rihanna and the like in a flash! ;o)
Try it.

You can follow public playlists but not family members.  Seems like a core feature is missing.  I currate playlists for my gf to listen to on one of the accounts but I can't listen to them.  This is a bad ux in my opinion.

I started to use Spotify more often as my kids convinced me to get a Family account and quickly realized that two important (at least for me) features are missing - share play lists between family members and add friends (Spotify users) without Facebook. 

The original post was made in March, Spotify's Customer Service responded in April. It's almost October now and I'm curious how long it takes to develop that feature? It's just a metadata and most of the functionality is already here. 

Yup! Get this on the road. Sharing playlists withion family without facebook is kind of a basic feature...

I don't know if I misunderstand the problem. It is possible to follow lists of family members without facebook, at least we do in our family but it is time consuming to set up in case there are many lists to share. There are also other threads about how to do it.

Start by following each others user accounts.

Then share play lists: Right click the list -> mark as common play list.

I don't want my play lists public so they are all also marked as private.

Right click again -> share... -> send to -> write the user names of your following family users.

As I said, very annoying but working way of doing it.

A better (and I would say expected functionality) would be to have either a common settings option to "share all playlists within family" or the possiblity to right click a separate play list (or even better, a folder to chose all play lists in it) and chose "share within family".

+1000

Anyone in a family group should automagically be followers of each other and be able to share playlists.

Forcing sharing via Facebook isn't the answer. Lot's of dads like me don't Facebook but will pay for family spotify. This is a notable feature deficit though.

Sharing via Facebook is problematic for many reasons.  My 15-year-old daughter is the reason we are Spotify customers and Facebook is so not cool because, as she tells me, she's "not like 40."  So, no FB sharing at this house.

I agree with the prior posters on a few things:  1.) sharing playlists among family members seems to be such an obvious feature, 2.) given the fact that this thread has been steadily growing for months with a universal consensus someone from Spotify should take notice and respond, and 3.) program the feature already!

Seriously..is there no solution. Or any comments from somebody from Spotify??? I mean we are all paying money, we have a family, and we are busy and shouldn't have to waste time trying to share music, within our own family. This is amazing. Are you encouraging people to investigate other options for streaming music?? I am busy and I don't need to waste time doing numerous searches to solve a very simple problem for users who are paying for a service, that seems to have no support!

That is terrible support.

I too have this problem with sharing with my family.  I have younger kids so I'd like to keep track of what they are listening too and also share a family playlist.  So my enhancment request would be:

1.  Enable the ability to follow family member's playlist - see updates to the the playlist as the family member makes changes.

2.  Enable ability to "follow" family member without needing Facebook.

3.  Enable ability to "send" music to family member for them to listen to a song, album, artist, etc.

For those of us who have teens, I thought the family share would be a good way for them to play music on their devices BUT also allow the parent to monitor and be proactive in their music.  It is great for allowing music play separately but family sharing is essentially having all separate accounts but allowing to share a reduced cost monthly subscription.  

I will wait until this is implemented (sharing without FB) before upgrading.  My wife doesn't do FB and my daughter is on/off FB depending on what's happening in life.

I found a work around. All you need to do is select the "Copy Playlist Link" from the "..." next to the play button in the playlist from the desktop app. Then text it you the person you want to share it with. Make sure they are logined to their app. The link will open in the app and then they can follow the list. It worked for me. Good Luck.

Well done - helped me out a lot. It's ridiculous that existing playlists arent shared with new family account members but this workaround does the trick. I'd only add that in order to make them 'YOUR' playlist you need to duplicate it in the new account then delete the old version from that same account. At least that way you have control of what goes in it! Unless deleting it from the bill holders account automaticaaly makes it yours (I didnt try that!). Clear as mud???

Suggested posts