Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spam in the Community

Spam in the Community

Hi folks, we want to let everyone know we're aware of the recent spam attacks hitting the Spotify Community. 

We're working with Lithium on getting this issue under control as quickly as we can. 

Thank you for your patience while we work on stopping these instances. Soon we'll have the boards cleaned up and easy to search for your Spotify questions. 

20 Replies

Yay! I hate when I go to the unsolved help posts and it's all gunked up with spam. Let's hope this can be resolved quickly!

Hope they are working on a new, 'proper' spam filter systems. My posts are keep getting rejected(marked as spam) for no reason.

Keep up the good work 🙂

Lovely to hear!

It's been quite annoying lately with all the spam, makes it hard to find people who actually need help instead of spam.

It's great you guys have started working on it and making Spotify Community a cleaner place 😃

EA Gaming forums run on lithium as well, as far as I know they have had similar issues after talking with one of their staff. Might be worth a look.

- Chris

Thanks @meahtenoha. It is disruptive. I know that filtering subject lines would only offer temporary relief but I had an idea for a possible robust solution.

Lithium software already identifies post totals (for the badges) so wouldn't it be possible to suspend accounts of new members who make 5 or more posts in a day or something along those lines? This is unlikely to affect genuine members but, in case it does, autogenerate a message asking them to contact staff instead of the badge notification?

@meredith We have seen this kind of spam in recent past in so many other forum and community also. The main motive of spammer not to spam the spotify community but the main motive is to spam the google search result.

Spotify community has high ranking value in search results and to spam search results, they are targeting the community. In order to stop spam, the titles and subject filtering actually not work. Whenever you put some filtering, they bypass it by using some special symbols for example O instead of 0, which exactly look like zero, some seperators at random place - or _ .

We also seen that when community owners and moderators start deleting post immediatly, these spammer belive that now the more strict filter are in place and they move to another community. So to stop this spamming, you need to delete the post immediatly with maunal checking and verification also. When these spammers see that spotify making is more diffcult to post a message, they automatically leave to another community.

Lets us know if we can help in any way to make the community better.

Hello joe,

Much appreciated solution but they are data cheap sourced data entry operator and they wont mind creating the account after very 5 posts.. Deleting their account which is making more than 5 posts in a day or putting a limit to start he tread is also again a temporarily solution. They are a team for 30-40 people and blindly doing this to spam the community and more over the search engine.

Thanks for solution, but yes it will reduce the spam duration and number but it will not solve it completely. 

Spam should be prohibited, stay calm and work wisely

Well, I see the forum staff and Stars have taken the advice to delete the spam as soon as it appears seriously. At this rate, this will soon be the community graveyard.

@meahtenoha wrote:

Thank you for your patience while we work on stopping these instances. Soon we'll have the boards cleaned up and easy to search for your Spotify questions. 

Have to say I'm distinctly underwhelmed by your efforts so far.

Follow me

This really is not good. Where are the community staff and Rock Stars lately?Inaction will surely make things worse. Maybe it's time to head off to Reddit.

Windows Desktop Community Board is being BURIED by spam bots. My actual issue that I posted is being buried in a matter of minutes by spam bots. They are making new topics full of gibberish every few seconds. It's ridiculous. This topic was made months ago and the problem still persists. What is going on??

Capture.JPG

There are only two possibilities. Either they don't care or they have no idea how to deal with the spam.

As the spam seems to be aimed at search engines, removing it as soon as it appears would probably cause the spammer(s) to move on. If the forum mods and rock/rising stars can't cope on their own, I'm pretty sure that community users would be willing to help get rid of this curse.

I was also wondering if using a /robots.txt file would cause them to move on as it would stop search engine robots.

Hello Meredith, I have paid for spotify premium on the 16th of december 2017, I received confirmation today but I still do not have Premium. Could you please advise me on how we can sort this problem out please?

Best Veronica

@meahtenoha wrote:

Hi folks, we want to let everyone know we're aware of the recent spam attacks hitting the Spotify Community. 

We're working with Lithium on getting this issue under control as quickly as we can. 

I really hope this is fixed soon. The spam is making it very hard to find actual questions and people needing help.

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is beyond annoying, hope its fixed at some point.

Has there been any progress on resolving the spam issue yet?

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So the mods have all abandoned ship?  Does anyone actually care at Spotify?

I am no longer able to login to my account after receiving a suspected spam email saying my subscription was cancelled. Will I ever be able to log back into my account? 

Suggested posts