Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

WD TV LIVE - "couldn't connect to Spotify". Tried all suggestions. Help required please.

WD TV LIVE - "couldn't connect to Spotify". Tried all suggestions. Help required please.

Hi

I've been on over 2 hours trying to work this one out and can't think of any other test to try - I'm needing a little help now please.

I've had the WD Live player for about 3 days with the unit working great (including Spotify).

Today I've had the "couldn't connect" message on the Spotify page.

I've deleted my Network settings and tried a wireless and wired connection. I've reset the unit. I've treble checked my username and password. I also have read on another thread that:

"......the Problem was solved after reading a much ealier post. Go to System menu and reset All online services. Then login and it's fine."

I assume by this he means just cancel the network settings???

Any help will be appreciated. Cheers.

13 Replies

Bloody hell....found it - the guy is right, you must go to System menu and click on "reset All online services". 

Did it work out with you? I have exactly the same problem as you had. Unfortunately, resetting all online services on my WD TV Live does not resolve the problem. I keep on receiving the message it can't login while my laptop is perfectly able to login with the same credentials.

Not sure if I can try something else to get it back to work again?

Marcel1234AB - Have you tried creating a device password at all? It should get it working. Just head here: http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

Resetting all the online services did not work.  I still get the same message.

Anybody else found a solution to this?

Also, the following link redirects to the account section:

https://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/

I upgraded from an unlimited account.  Is that why I might be missing the "Device" section in my account?

@iannickb wrote:

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

Resetting all the online services did not work.  I still get the same message.

Anybody else found a solution to this?

Also, the following link redirects to the account section:

https://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/

I upgraded from an unlimited account.  Is that why I might be missing the "Device" section in my account?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Is your account now showing as premium on your online overview

There have been issues in the past with partner devices and router settings. It might be worth going onto your router and toggling the uPnP setting between on and off and see if that makes any difference. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried enabling uPnP with no success.

My account shows as Premium on the Spotify website.

I can log into other services from the device and I can use Spotify from the web and Linux clients.

Frustrating problem as the message from the WD Live device is not really explicit and I don;t have access to any logs...

Do you normally log in using your Spotify username and password or do you have a Facebook account? 

Peter

Peter

I login with my Username/Password.  My Facebook account is not linked.

Strange, I would suggest also opening some communication with WD support if you can, since they are the ones who actually write and maintain the application which connects to Spotify on their systems. It looks like this might be a connection issue on their side. 

Peter

Peter

Will contact WD.  Thanks a lot for your help.

I had similar problems, I am in Australia using Unblockus.  Occaisionally I must update the Unblockus website to refresh the DNS settimgs.

I found iwas unable to log into Spotify (premium) on the WDLive, despite there being no problem logging in with my computer.
I checked the network connection on WDLive, it said there was a DNS problem.  I updated Unblockus, WDLive said the DNS was ok now, but still could not login to Spotify.   I powered WD Live off and then on again, still could not login to Spotify. I reset my wireless connection, using automatic setup with local DNS, still not able to login to Spotify.  I set up a Spotify device password and tried to login with that, still not able to login.  I went back to my unblockus DNS setting, DNS still ok, but could not login.  Also could not login with Facebook login details.

I read that doing a system reset of all online services might work.  My system menu on WDLive does not have a reset online services, but does have a general reset.  I tried that, the device rebooted, I tried again with the device password and Spotify logged in this time.

@Stuart_anderson - Is there a firewall running on your network at all? If so can you try disabling it and see if that works? Also what is the exact error message you get when you try to login using your numerical username and device password? 

Peter

As stated at the end of my post, I was eventually able to login to Spotify after doing a reset.  I was not seeking a solution but sharing some knowledge.  I have an update to add; soon after logging to Spotify, my wife tried to access YouTube through my Sony Bluray and could not connect to the internet.  I found the problem was the Unblockus DNS settings.   The last digit in the DNS address had changed and this had to be manually input to my Bluray to get it working again.  This must have also been the problem with the WDLive, I reentered the DNS settings manually for the WDLive but didn't notice the last digit change.  I use the Unblockus service because I want to access Netflix in Australia.   My ISP changes my IP address from time to time, I usually just go to the Unblock us site and update my IP address with them by clicking on their service status button and entering my email address, however if Unblock us changes the DNS address then I also need to do a manual update on my devices.

Suggested posts