Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why are you overcharging me $10.82 for a $9.99 subscription?

Solved!

Why are you overcharging me $10.82 for a $9.99 subscription?

Since you provide no email support, I have no choice but to ask here.

My long-standing Premium account was suddenly overcharged $10.82 instead of $9.99. In addition, my account page states that I will be billed "$9.99 each month," yet just to the right the big green button says "$10.82." I can find no explanation anywhere for this discrepency.

Please refund the overcharge and correct this error immediately.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi ogghead - If you get in touch via our contact form our team can keep assisting from there--thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi ogghead - You should have received an email notification about any changes to your subscription. 

I believe this FAQ can probably explain what's going on here.

"Should" is such a lovely word. But no, no such email was received. Spam folder checked.

And on the face of it, shouldn't Spotify be able to explain the discrepency on the billing page itself? There is an obvious visual disconnect between saying plainly "You will be charged $9.99 a month" and "Current charge: $10.82 / month" only pixels away from each other. Nowhere is there a clue to the difference in your billing or account pages.

Marked as solution

Hi ogghead - If you get in touch via our contact form our team can keep assisting from there--thanks!

I was charge 10.77. And I understand the "FAQ" link states it is a sales tax issue, but why wasn't the previous charges charged the same amount... Why all of a sudden the change my state has always had a sales tax. And I also did not get an email. I JUST changed my email options from Spotify but 5 min ago the charge was done in July 2013.

And I also see the "Spotify" still has fixed the whole "you will be charged 9.99" in one spot but just a couple inches on the screen away it say "monthly payment 10.77"

@cashliegh wrote:

I was charge 10.77. And I understand the "FAQ" link states it is a sales tax issue, but why wasn't the previous charges charged the same amount... Why all of a sudden the change my state has always had a sales tax. And I also did not get an email. I JUST changed my email options from Spotify but 5 min ago the charge was done in July 2013.

And I also see the "Spotify" still has fixed the whole "you will be charged 9.99" in one spot but just a couple inches on the screen away it say "monthly payment 10.77"

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

The changes could be down to any number of things, don't forget it is not just a presence in your state which might require sales tax to be added, certain advertising or publicity events by Spotify might also make sales tax a legal obligation. 

If you have any concerns regarding billing or tax, get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to claify any questions you have. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts