Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album/Cover Art not showing for tracks synced from Local Files

Album/Cover Art not showing for tracks synced from Local Files

So let's say I used ID3-TagIT to add cover art for certain songs on my desktop that which are obviously read as local files via the Spotify Desktop application and show the cover art that i've attatched using the editor.

However, since the recent update when I sync a particular album that has some tracks that are both local files and songs already on spotify, the cover art for the local files do not appear whereas the cover art for the songs already on Spotify do. Of course pre-update, this did not occur as the cover art i've added actually did appear on my phone.

(Two screenshots of a local file without any shown cover art and a spotify track with cover art are added)

Anyone else having this issue?

Device: Nexus 6
Version: 5.1.1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Local file.jpg
Online Spotify track.jpg
38 Replies

When is this getting fixed?!

I am having the same issue missing the album art for locally synced files myself. This happened right after the design update. Album art for music streamed from Spotify's service is not affected.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
Sync local files that have album art in ID3 tag. Album art will not display in the Android app, or will display the album art of the last streamed song.

What steps you’ve tried already:
Uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, clearing data on Spotify, clearing and re-adding the music on the desktop version.

Motorola Nexus 6 Android 5.1.1
Premium
Spotify version: 3.5.0.963
Any screenshots: Same as original poster.

Same issue for me...  😞

Same thing in Spotify Version 3.7.0.833 after undownloading all music and redownloading.

This has been an issue for too long, fix it.

If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

Same here! Please fix this Spotify. It's a genuine bug that needs to be squashed!

Come on Spotify this is ridiculous! FIX THIS!

Spotify version 4.1.0.868

Motorola Nexus 6 Android 5.1.1
Premium

This issue still occurs.  I've tried "Delete cache and saved data," uninstalling, then re-installing Spotify.  Still no album art on locally sync'ed files.  This is frustrating!

I have had the same problem for a while on my Note 4 running Spotify version 4.4.0.1008.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Welcome to 2016, in which I am still having this issue! Xperia Z3 Compact, Android 5.1.1, latest Spotify.

Why the hell did I upgrade to Premium, just why...

Spotify version 4.5.0.820
Motorola Nexus 6 Android 6.0.1
Premium

This issue with the album art still occurs. Now, sometimes with all songs, and not just synced music from my computer. I haven't figured out a pattern to the reason why that happens. I'm beginning to think we're not supposed to see album art anymore.

I think the issue of local album art and Spotify content album art is different. Annoying, and coincidental but different. I never have issues with Spotify content, just the local stuff (which is flippin' annoying!)

Nope, sorry. This is from Spotify collection.

Edit: Upon further testing the Android client just stops showing artwork at some random point and the widget gets stuck with one artwork, the lock screen widget with another (!!) and when you actually enter the app there is no artwork at all. Force quit Spotify and you recover all artwork except that from local files. 

The Android widget also crashes approx. once per hour but that's a different error I suppose.

2016-01-27 17.12.45.png

I imagine in  any case then, the spotify content album art not displaying is purely a bug with the current build(s)! Frustrating though. I really want my local file album art like in the old days hah.

I suppose we could troubleshoot it ourselves if anyone can be bothered. It could be:

a) The latest desktop versions are not sending the art - so try an older version of the desktop with the current version of the android build;

b) The latest andoid version isn't showing the art - so try the current version of the desktop app with an old build of android;

c) Both the desktop and android vesion are refusing, so try a combination of old versions.

Anyone willing to give this a go? 🙂

Sometimes I add local files and shows the covert art in my desktop version but not in android

Local cover art is 90% flawless in my desktop version. Sometimes it can't properly read an mp3 though.... sigh. So annoying when this all used to work and now doesn't.

If I remember, the last Spotify Android app that showed the album art was right before the interface redesign.  Time to hunt down an APK.

> b) ...try the current version of the desktop app with an old build of android;

Tried with a 1.9.0.1273 APK that I found.  Signed in, and synced music album art works flawlessly when using the latest Windows version.  based on this, it's gotta be the Android app.

Indeed, this is very frustrating.

Hey Lazz0r!

Thanks for doing that. That is a very decent discovery as it happens, so we've at least whittled down some of the reasons for the bug. I'm going to try and raise this within the rising star forum, to see if it can be fixed.

Thanks for doing the leg work. I hope they don't say "due to the new redesign, it's not possible at present to show this art"! If not I'll stick with 1.9.0.1273 if it works with Android Auto!

Suggested posts